.45 on a buget

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 8, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Az45Shooter
    (12/17/02 1:23:25 pm)
    Reply .45 on buget
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm looking to buy a new 1911 but cant spend more then $450.
    Looking at Charles Daly or may be Rock Island. Need some info or opinions.

Chas
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/17/02 2:52:17 pm)
    Reply budget
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Allow me to extend a hardy TFF welcome to ya!! We hope you enjoy your stay...

I think the Springfield Mil-Spec is worth looking at. I've priced them new between $435 and $485.

Happy hunting!

Chas

Edited by: Chas at: 12/17/02 2:56:11 pm

ftstinyc
    (12/17/02 4:16:48 pm)
    Reply budget
    You might want to look at the Dan Wesson line of auto
    pistol's. You should be able to get a minor which is
    pretty well loaded for that kind of money.

Big R
    (12/17/02 11:00:21 pm)
    Reply Re: budget
    Hard to beat the Springfield in that price range.
    .22 or 7mm Rem Mag, it doesn't matter. As long as I'm shooting I'm Happy

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/17/02 11:05:16 pm)
    Welcome Az45Shooter and happy shopping. There's nothing like a new 45. Well... there may be 1 or 2 other things!

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/18/02 7:55:59 am)
    Re: budget
    Wow...look at all those new members...Hi Gang!

Springfield is your answer AZ45...

The Norinco is also a good platform for the $$, if you can find them. I would recommend them over the others you mentioned.
    "A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"

Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/19/02 5:12:16 pm)
    Welcome to the forum. I'd also recommend the Springfield Mil-Spec.

The Norinco is also a great shooting 1911. The Daly 1911 usually need a little tweeking but I usually tweek them all.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/23/02 11:31:01 pm)
    Re: budget
    Shooter is a tweaker

Shooter is a tweaker

Important Info For ALL Americans
    "A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!" Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

Roger1113
    (12/24/02 5:13:00 pm)
    Reply .45 on a budget
    I have had my Firestorm 45 Government for about a week now, and it fires fine as far as i can tell, not a bad gun for the price, I do agree with everyone else and think you can't beat the 'original' 1911!

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/24/02 11:14:08 pm)
    Reply Re: .45 on a budget
    what about building your own? what parts are FFL required? any "gotchyas" ??? what about any websites with 1911 "Tweaks" or hints?

also, i hate to admit it here, but the cz 97b is also talking to me... i've got a cz75bd and i really like the simplicity of their auto pistols.

( straining against getting a .45 )
    no... can't do it ... must resist ...

chris in sandy eggo

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/25/02 11:44:33 am)
    Hi Chris.....the only part that requires an FFL is the frame.

Here's the frame I used to build mine: www.essexarm.com/blued.htm you can get the frames and slides either blued or parkerized.

You can also get a lot of custom 1911 parts from Wilson's: www.m1911.org/wilparts.htm

Here are some other places to look:

www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/s.../parts.htm

www.powercustom.com/1911/parts_1911.htm

www.clarkcustomguns.com/head1911.htm

www.m1911.org/partsfrm.htm

www.acmearms.com/1911-parts.php

www.entreprise.com/Catalo...ectory.htm

www.usarmory.com/catalog.asp?PAGE=4

Well, there are a few to check out. That oughta keep ya off the streets and outta them Sandy Eggo bars for a while....... .

It's probably not any cheaper to build your own.....but at least that way, you know what went into your gun and you get just the features you want or need.

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/25/02 1:57:50 pm)
    wow! thanks for the links XRacer! one thing about the build your own approach (for those mechanically inclined) is that you can buy one part at a time and set some kind of budget, if necessary.

hmmm ... what about that gas piston version ??????????

<---- my favorite emoticon for when you poke fun at LTS

going ridin on dirtbikes!! merry xmas y'all!
    chris in sandy eggo

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/25/02 6:37:34 pm)
    Doesn't require much mechanical ability at all, Chris. Most pieces drop right in, and the M1911 is a marvel of rugged simplicity. You can disassemble the entire gun in about 2 minutes and the only tool you need is a screwdriver to take off the grips. You can put it back together in less than 3 minutes (even if you have five thumbs): usgi1911.tripod.com/disassembly/

The '11 has been doing very nicely with the drop-link design for over 90 years now (and I've been shootin' em for about half that time).....I don't really see any need for a gas system.

Edited by: Xracer at: 12/25/02 6:46:27 pm

noital2
    (12/27/02 8:58:59 pm)
    Reply Do NOT buy new, don't buy a plain jane
    Believe me, you will be sorry if you don't get the speed safety, beavertail grip safety, better sights, etc that come with the "loaded" Spld. Adding those modifications, later, when you learn their value, will cost you $300+. You can find a used, "loaded" Spld in your price range. Just use Gunfinder, or some such Net Search program, or just leave want ads on the 30+ gun forum-sites on the net, or do a $10 want ad in the Gun List newspaper,or the Shotgun News paper. If you think you ever might actually carry this gun, get an alloy Commander version. A .22 conversion unit, especially an original, steel slide Colt, is a great idea. So is a 9mm slide group and ejector, for cheap practice, without having to retreive brass or reload. Spld now uses a "one size fits all" sort of ejector and slide setup.

noital2
    (12/27/02 9:01:29 pm)
    Reply I forgot to add
    Dealers will not give you more than half of current retail when you want to sell them a 'used" gun, even if you've only fired 100 rds thru it. So, figure $650 retail for that Spld loaded. Dealer only offers $325. You offer the guy $400 and it's yours, and he's your new friend.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/28/02 9:25:22 am)
    Reply Re: I forgot to add
    Hi noital2.....welcome to TFF.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (12/28/02 9:32:23 am)
    Reply Re: I forgot to add
    Noital12, Welcome to TFF.

Silver72
    (12/28/02 1:22:37 pm)
    Reply Re: .45 on buget
    I just picked up a Norinco 1911A1 .45 for $310. It had been fired very little. All parts will interchange with the original Colt 1911A1. This is the third Norinco I have had and they are reliable and accurate.