1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.45+P Ammo ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Nimrod, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Nimrod

Nimrod New Member

Can I shoot +P ammo in my Taurus 24/7 Tactical, and what is +P ammo ?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I would not use +P ammo in a pistol without changing the recoil spring before firing. You will gall or crack the frame and then have problems. You need to change the recoil spring to a heavier spring in order to take up the recoil of the +P ammo.

Plus P ammo is loaded to a higher than normal pressure for greater velocity. Stick with normal 45 ACP ammo.

IPT
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  3. Ed K

Ed K Member

is this true with most 1911's how about a kimber ultra cdp11
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

if the recoil spring isnt intended for the recoil generated it will damage whatever you shoot them out of. for +P ammo you generally need a 20 to a 24# spring, whereas normal .45 ACP utilizes a 14 to 18# spring... and i have seen some with 12# springs
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

What is the advantage of +P in .45acp? The standard heavy 230gn bullet at about 850fps is one of the best man stoppers there is. It already has more than enough power to make enhanced munitions like hollow points perform properly.

As has been said, to go +P will require stiffer spring and could possibly make the gun unreliable or worse, crack the frame.

If anyone was asking me, stick with standard loads in .45acp and leave the +P to do what it was supposed to do, help lesser calibres like .38s and 9mm catch up in terms of performance.
  6. Nimrod

Nimrod New Member

Thanks Guys