.45 reloading cost

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Squeak, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Squeak

Squeak Member

With the winter coming up soon, I'd like to get involved in reloading some .45 ACP. I want to use original 230 grain jacketed or copper plated bullets (not lead) RN.
    Problem is - - - I can't assemble all the components as cheap as I can buy factory ammo.
    Anybody know a source for cheap jacketed or plated bullets for less than 16 cents a round? Surplus somewhere maybe?

We got a local Wal-mart that sells Winchester for $35.00 / 100 and a Farm & Fleet that sells Remington for $33.00 / 100. Is my thinking correct that other than the love of doing it, I can't compete with that.
    I'm not talking about super duper match grade reloads, just target & plinking grade.
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

I think you need to recalculate your component costs based on purchasing more than 100 at a time. Store bought ammo is $0.33-$0.35 per round? - a whole lot of folks are reloading .45ACP for half that $$$.
  3. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

Umm let me see, i load 45lc, basicly simuler, for 500 250 grn bullets cost 39.00 thats 7.8 cents per bullet, primers cost 38.00 for 1000, thats 3.8 cents per primer. powder cost ( i use trailboss powder) 13.00 for 9 oz, thats using ave 5 gr per bullet getting aprox 1400 rounds per pound so say 787 per container so cost works out to 1,7 cents per shot. brass (if i bought it) starline costs 96.00 per 500 so thats .19 cents per shell. (I got lucky and ran across a deal at a gun show and got 50 rounds cowboy 45lc for $25 a box..got 6 boxes so my brass is really free right now!)

so added together (7.8 +3.8 +1.7 + .19) = .322 cents per shot

my current cost, since i dont have to buy brass is as you can see is very low! at 13.2 cents per shot!

45 acp is cheaper than my costs!! so please refigure your costs! save that brass! if you need some I'm sure someone would spot you a few hundred. just ask!
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I agree with RandyP, my 45 loads run .16 a round. Thats half of the price you list?? I use precision delta 230gr. These are fmj bullets and are less cost than any plated I've come across at 119 per k shipped. So a .02 primer, .01 powder charge of titegroup or bullseye. Maybe not saving much it seems, but for every 100 you buy of the shelf, you can reload twice as many at the same cost, thats well worth it to me.
  5. RandyP

RandyP Member

It is important for newcomers to note that just about the most expensive component can be the brass case....but you can reload that same case over and over. In a low pressure round like .45ACP, that could mean 50 times or even more. So since you can also range scrounge once fired brass for free? Most reloaders do not factor in the brass cost for their loads.
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Squeak, I also agree you need to shop around for component prices and recalculate. Powder runs around $20.00 for a pound, primers can be found for around $30.00 per thousand and bullets plated or full metal jacket should run you $75-100.00 for 500. I am loading my fired brass so I don't figure the price of a hull into my reloading costs. Like Randy and Hunter said you should be able to reload for about half the cost of new factory ammo. Buy your components in bulk to save even more. They don't go bad and can sit on the shelf till you need them.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That comes out to about $16 per box of 50, if you count the price of the brass. Like the others here I don't count the price of brass, I reload what I shoot, and I get all the free brass I want by just picking it up. Not counting the price of the brass, that comes in around $6.50 per box of 50.
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

i forgot to mention the brass i priced in my calculations was for new unfired brass. the cost drops if you can find once fired for sale. or as some have mentioned, range brass is usually free, if you dont mind picking it up!
  9. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I also started on the 45 round for reloading. I will admit the cost of components has gone up from when i first started but I am still able to load my own for about 60-70% of what brand new ammo would cost me. Keep in mind also that I am in MA where I have to jump through hoops to get my supplies and that keeps cost higher for me.
  10. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I agree with most everything everybody said, there is some spread on components from suppliers and wether you can purchase wholesale or retail, but brass is usable many times, just make sure to watch for deterioation of sidewalls and primer pocket. The costs listed is a pretty good range and wholessale is about 30%-40% less if you can get it. Reloading is fun and relaxing, but make sure to follow your loading manuals, apply common sense, and concentrate on loading when loading. It is serious business even though it's fun too! Also, considering you live in Illinois, I would make sure you can load and store components in your particular community as Illinois is a little touchy!
  11. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

12. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Thanks Clipper, this works real well!
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

14. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I don't use a calculater, I do it in my head.
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

If I could type stuff into it and get an answer, I'd use your head too! :na-na::lmao2::lmao2:
  16. Squeak

Squeak Member

Give me some ideas on where to order jacketed or plated bullets for the kind of money you guys are talking about. I can't find em for less than .16 unless I buy a rail car of them. I'd like to start out with 250 or at most 500.
    I got the brass.
    Thanks.
  17. CampingJosh

18. CampingJosh

If you will buy 1000, this site has 230 grain FMJ for 11.9¢ per bullet including shipping.
  19. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

I am shooting 230gr lead reloads for $10.80 a hundred.
  20. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Nice cost calculator - based on remembering my costs off the top of my head ...

I am shooting 230 RN Plated reloads @ $12.84 per 100