.45 reloading cost

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Squeak, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Squeak

Squeak Member

CampingJosh: OK, now - - - thanks to you & this forum - - - things are starting to make sence. I didn't know about this site & I thank ya for it.
    I've used "Berrys" plated bullets for loading .38 special (my wife's gun) and have been happy with them, but all she ever shoots is paper targets & once in a while she'll even hit the paper at 50 feet. We use BIG paper targets!
    She does better than me.
    I don't mind buying 1000 bullets as opposed to the 250 or 500 I originally had in mind, but I just couldn't justify .16 cents plus shipping.
    Thanks!
  2. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Squeaky, for lead cast try http://twoalphabullets.com, prices are per thousand and shipping is reasonable as well. I usually order 10-15M at a time and mix calibers & weights to fit my needs. If you don't try to work him too hard for a quantity price he usually gives a generous discount above and beyond the listed prices. I think my last order averaged out to around $60-$65.00 per 1000.
  3. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

Wow! I feel honored that I can buy 230 gr lead bullets for $54 per thousand, used to be able to get them at $50, but things went up. That is local, and the company that casts the bullets is right here in town. I can't order from him, but from a really neat place near town that sells only components.
  4. Kenley

Kenley New Member

Let me put in my 2 cents. For punching paper and beer cans, lead bullets work just fine at around 800 fps.I cast with Lee TUMBLE LUBE bullets. They don't need re-sizing and super easy to lube. I cast wheel weights. I use bullseye powder. With a 4gr charge, a pound will load boo coos.(that is an exact number in Marine Corps terminology)
    Four gallons of picked up brass is cleaned and ready @ no cost.
    So, for all practical purposes, my only real cost is the primers which have doubled in a year. THANK YOU obama. Around .04 cents..up from .018 a couple of years ago.
  5. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Convincing comments above. In addition, I find reloading really contributes to the overall shooting experience. If you want to load cheaply, though you have to buy in bulk. Precision Delta offers about the best price for FMJ and you can often find deals on powder and primers at Grafs, Wideners, and Powder Valley.