1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

.45 shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Donny Henry
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/18/02 4:51:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .45 shotgun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been using some of my "left over" brass to make some shot shells for the .45, using about 5 or 6 BB's and some candle wax...My only worry is that I may screw up my barrell while fireing these things...Any opinions here?

The penetration at 10 yrds is much more than I expected.
    ~-~I'm your huckleberry.~-~

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/18/02 5:34:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: .45 shotgun
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Donny,

I don't think that's a good idea, the commercial ones
    are encased in a plastic cup of sorts which contains
    the shot and keeps it from making contact with the
    barrel.

Better to use commercial stuff, unless you have an
    old surplus barrel.
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/18/02 5:51:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .45 shotgun
    You could buy a box of Speer shot capsules and load it that way.
    Years ago I used to to that but instead of bb's I used the needle bearings from car u-joints in the front of the capsule and added enough #8 shot behind it to finish filling it.
    They were too long for the magazine but I could single load it then add a loaded magazine. Of course they were hard to unload unfired so it was easier to shoot it to unload the gun.
    The needle bearings tumbled like tiny buzz saws and did an unbelievable amount of damage to whatever I shot.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/18/02 9:20:30 pm)
    I agree with Tac that shot will ruin your barrel PDQ.

However, barrels on a 1911 are easy to change, so maybe you can pick up an old one cheap at a gun show, and use that for your shotshells.

John Hunter
    (5/20/02 12:13:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Speer use to sell some plastic shot containers that you filled with shot then snaped a plug into and loaded them like a buller. I still have some on the shelf in .38 and .44 cal's
    John - NRA - Lifer
    IWLA - National Director

Ross95966
    (5/20/02 12:44:31 am)
    Donny Henry,
    I have shot a bunch of the .45 ACP military WW II survival shotshells in the 1911 with no discernable damage.
    RCBS and others used to make dies to fashion the longer cases from any '06 size case, the .300 Savage being thinner are best.
    They feed through the magazine fine, but must be manually cycled.
    The lead may foul the rifiling, but it is softer than the usual jacketed bullets, and cleans out easily, just as in the .22 rifles or pistols.
    Patterning can reveal some satisfying results, though not long range goose loads.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross

etp777
    (7/6/02 3:17:56 pm)
    I bleieve he is talking about loading regular BBs from a BB gun, rather than BB sized lead shot, so with this and the needle bearings you're shooting steel shot,r ather than lead, which will most likely damage the barrel

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (7/6/02 5:19:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Welcome etp777
    "I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE SOME REPORTERS PAWING THROUGH OUR PAPERS. WE ARE THE PRESIDENT." - Hillary Clinton commenting on the release of subpoenaed documents

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/6/02 5:59:23 pm)
    Howdy etp777 -

How about moving on up to the Newcomers WelcomeWagon forum where we can all give you a proper welcome.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/6/02 8:33:32 pm)
    etp777, the needle bearings were inside the speer plastic capsules and never touched the barrel.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum
    To err is human. But to really screw things up you just about have to have a computer.