45 Super & 45 Super Express Load Data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

tuckerd1
    (6/12/01 8:49:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 45 Super & 45 Super Express Load Data
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Springfield V16 and need some 45 Super data. I have some that I downloaded from RealGuns.

If anyone else knows where I can get more, please let me know.

shooter22
    (6/12/01 8:47:16 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 45 Super & 45 Super Express Load Data
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Tuckerd1, You have great tastes in firearms. I also have the V-16. Boy, what a gun!

Ok, for some reloading data;

I got mine from www.realguns.com/loads/45super.htm

I also got some regular 45 acp from www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/45acp.htm

I got some from www.triton-ammo.com/45loaddata.htm this data was what they loaded when they had the right to it. Before Ace Custom ammo decided to make them quit. Keep in mind that the new Triton 450 ammo will supposedly work in the 45 Super.

I got one p+ load from Alliant Powder-- it is Power Pistol(9.1 grains) Fed 150m primer, Seating depth for 185 grn JHP--1.275 AOL--- makes 1075fps at 21,700 psi out of a five inch barrel.

Now for my best 45 super loads.

#1 185 grain Gold Dot Hollow Point
    14.5 grains Hodgdon HS-7
    CCI Large Pistol Primers
    Starline case

#2 185 grain GDHP
    9.5 grains Power Pistol
    CCI Large Pistol Primer
    Starline case

#1 230 Grain GDHP
    8.3 grains Power Pistol
    CCI Large Pistol Primer
    Starline case

#2 230 grain GDHP
    12.0 grains HS-7
    CCI Large Pistol Primer
    Starline case

All seating depths at 1.200"

I also have a 2000 edition Load Notes book that has some p+ data if you want it.

I have Developed some lite loads that I use with my regular recoil spring. They are not quite as light as a normal light load. normal light load will not complete the cycle function, this must be due to the porting and extra inch of barrel. If you want these lite data, just let me know.

I just checked the triton site and they have removed the load data. If you want, I can fax it to you, or post the data here.

Let me work on this a minute.

Edited by: TallTLynn at: 6/13/01 12:32:32 am

tuckerd1
    (6/12/01 10:06:44 pm)
    Thanks Shooter22. I take all the data you can provide that works good in the V16. I just got mine back in Feb and I'm trying to get some loads up for deer season.

I bought a 100rds 230gr Super Express from Texas Ammunition Co., but they are way to expensive to buy anymore.

So I bought 400rds Starline brass, 230gr Speer GDHP, Power Pistol powder and Federal primers. Going to brew up my own. I want to find the maximum I can push this round in the V16 and come up with the Super Express load like TAC.

This pistol shoots great and has enough velocity and energy at 100yds to take a whitetail. Most of my shots will likely be at 50yds or less. I'm looking forward to it this year.

It is almost like shooting a 44mag. Reminds be somewhat of the 44 AutoMag I used to have. Not quite the brute of the AutoMag, but brings back those memories. But it sure does fit my hand better than the AutoMag!

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 6/12/01 11:11:17 pm

shooter22
    (6/13/01 12:13:56 am)
    I tried the new picture host out and posted some Triton data there. Goto:

www.hunting-pictures.com/members/shooter22/index.html

SHOOTER22

tuckerd1
    (6/13/01 6:03:41 am)
    Kevin, Thanks a lot for the info. I copied the data from the picture you posted. I'll give some of these a try and when I collect info on these I'll share them with you.

Don

tuckerd1
    (6/14/01 12:12:16 pm)
    Shooter22, Have you shot any of Triton's 45 SMC in your V16? I went to their site and read about it. Looks like the same case as the 45 Super.

I now have Speer GDHP bullets in 3 different weights, 4 different powders and 2 different primers to test. Lots of combinations to test before November hunting season, but will fun doing it.

The Speer GDHP looks like they may be the best bullet for this pistol from what I have read so far.

shooter22
    (6/14/01 5:38:13 pm)
    I have not tried the Triton 450's yet. I am going to soon.

The Gold Dots have worked for me with out a flaw. Got some great groups. I have found my hunting rounds. Boy, I would sure like to Chrony some of these hunting rounds I have. I guess I will have to break down and buy one.

I wish that Nosler or Swift made their hunting bullets in the .451. I know that nosler makes a 300 grain in the .451, but it would seat too deep and not allow the proper amount of space for the powder. I love the Swift A frame and the Nosler Partition, I just have to convince them to make it in the 45 for us Super users.

SHOOTER22

tuckerd1
    (6/14/01 7:29:31 pm)
    Hurry up and get that chrony! I would love to have one too.

I want to find a handload in 230gr GDHP that will hit 1200 at the muzzle and get at least 500 ft lbs of energy at 100 yds. We ought to be able to get 1300-1400 fps out of the 200 gr GDHP.

Keep me informed!

tuckerd1
    (12/16/01 4:31:53 pm)
    Shooter22, I loaded some 230 gr Gold Dots with 8.2 gr of Power Pistol That shot very good off a rest. 5 shot groups less than 1" at 25yds. Haven't tried any longer ranges yet.

Man that powder smokes. Looks like a black powder gun going off.

Gonna start stepping it up a little till I get pressures up. See what accuracy does as I go. I'll let you know.
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)