45 xtp + blue dot

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Easyshooter, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

I bought some 250 grain 45 XTP bullets and want to load it with some Blue Dot to get a higher velocity for hunting. I have the Hornday 8th edition manual and it doesn't give load data for blue dot for this bullet. My speer manual tells me 13.0 grs. of blue Dot produces the highest velocity for 230 and 260 grain jacketed bullets. Would it be safe to assume 13.0 grs of blue dot would work with the 45 XTP bullet? I dont' want to make too much pressure because I am shooting this ammo through my Taurus Judge with a 6.5" barrel and it isn't rated for +P pressures. I do have some unique and can load with that but it only produces a max velocity of 800 fps. I was hoping to find something that would get around 1000 fps. Tipicaly I'm not a looking for the max velocity but this specific bullet I want to use for hunting and need more knock down power.

Thanks..
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

No, it's not safe to assume that. Bullet shapes and case volumes will vary with a change in bullet. It is safe to back the load off 10% and work up a load for your Judge though. Do you have a chrony?
  3. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

No, I don't have a chrony,, yet. I would like to get one sometime soon. I did a google search and found a guy wanting to load this bullet behind 13.5grs of blue dot. He got a relpy of: Quickload predicts 14,832 lbs-psi, and 925 fps via 5" bbl.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sounds like youre a bit short on reloading manuals too. The Hornady 8th is a good one to have but you should have at least 3 to cross reference. I recommend Lymans 49th be one of them. ABCs and Lee 2nd would be 2 more top choices.

Bluedot in my opinion is too inconsistent for hi-volume handgun cartidges like the .45 colt and the .44 mag. It is one that needs to be nearly compressed to be uniform. Which is why it works so well in shotshells.

The unique load at 800 or so fps will kill most creatures 2 legged or 4. I wouldnt wanna go up against a griz with it but itll do for most game you go after with a handgun south of the canadian border.

My 1911 .45ACP with a 230 gr XTP at 825 fps has more one shot kills than I care to count in the hunting field.

It doesnt take a whole lot of velocity to get the point accross when the bullet resembles a lugnut. ;)
  5. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

JLA, all I have for manuals are the 8th Hornady and a Speer manual. I also have printed out over 50 pages of reload data from the powder manufactures web sites. I assume that those other manuals you suggested don't have any useful information for me either since you didn't give any. I was just hoping someone else had tried loading XTP bullets with blue dot and could give me some helpful advice.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

No theyre both full of info relevant to your needs. And I may have scanned the pages and posted them here, except I find your previous response a bit abrasive.

And I have used Bluedot and XTP bullets in more than a couple handgun calibers and I find its not the best choice for high volume revolver cartridges.

Just my opinion.. Your milage will vary.
  7. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I personally like BlueDot in my revolver (41 magnum), but it's a powder that one could easily double charge by accident. I get compressed charges in that round and good accuracy but somewhat dirty. I would suggest you look to load in a somewhat faster powder like Unique. It's really a hard powder to beat.
  8. 218bee

218bee Member

Its not a good idea to try and make a 45 Magnum out of a .45 ACP. I believe you would be happier with Unique than Blue Dot. Blue Dot seems to spike all at once (raising a load in steps). The only cartridge Blue Dot seems to excel in (for me) is .357 SIG. It is almost a compressed load and works very well in that case.......In most other cartridges, I found it to be a bit dirty and at times erratic... (Just from my experience). The good thing about the ole .45 ACP.....it is a reliable man stopper that doesn't require high velocity or "trick" bullets. It can get the job done without a 14 round capacity too.....(you have the right cartridge) Reload in within its pressure limits and it won't let you down.................Good Luck...Don in SC
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Be careful 218Bee. The OP is loading the .45LongColt and not .45ACP. Not real clear on that except that he stated he's loading these for use in a Judge which is .45LC/.410.

But I do have to agree with Josh's suggestion that a different powder choice might work better than Blue Dot.
    Blue Dot doesn't like low density loads, and can perform erratically if there's any amount of air space in the case. You would need to get up into the Contender-level .45LC loads to get that case full enough to ensure consistent performance (I.E. pressure and velocity spikes), and by that time you're well beyond the strength limit of your Judge's frame.

You're not going to get 1000fps velocities out of a 250gr .45LC without approaching Contender/Ruger pressure levels. 800-850fps is plenty good enough for deer, black bear (not sure what you're hunting), or two-legged varmints too.
    There is no +P spec defined for the .45LC, just standard (14000psi max) loads and Contender/Ruger (25000psi max). That's a lot of ground in between the two limits, and the Judge frame is solidly in the standard pressure category.

The already mentioned Unique would be a good choice.
    The one I would grab off of my shelf for your project would be AA#5. It's a nice spherical powder that meters nicely and seems fairly consistent in .45LC (non-Contender loads), .44Spcl, and .44-40. It is a little dirty though.

All depends on what you've got in your inventory, but I would trying something else besides BlueDot.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  10. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I agree about Blue Dot. I have a heavy load for my Blackhawk that works well with Blue Dot, but it's the only one.
  11. 218bee

218bee Member

Thanks...Bindernut. I miss read that one...Thought it was an ACP. I have seen so many people try to overload the .45ACP.....I thought that was what he was refering to.......I will try to read more carefully.....Don in SC :confused:
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree with you on that one Don. About overloading the .45ACP. THose who think they need to hotrod the .45ACP have obviously never shot anything living with it. It freakin plows right thru whatever it hits at standard pressure. Not need to go hot with it.
  13. Easyshooter

Easyshooter New Member

Thanks for the replies. Guess I will save the blue dot for something else. I bought it because it gave some high velocities for many speer colt 45 bullets. I read on another forum of a guy complaining of poor bullet penatration on deer from the 45 colt and thought I needed all the speed I could get. I have some 300 grain holow point factory loads advertised to be safe for the judge that have a velocity of 900 fps. Took them hunting this year but never got close enough to take a shot. Most of what I now about the 45LC performance is through reading forum posts. Maybe next year I will be able to take a deer with it.

JLA, sorry for the abrasive post. I actualy did mean for it to be that way because I was a bit offended my yours. Childish of me, next time I'll take time to cool down before I fire back.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

No prob. Were all adults here. And ill scan the data if you still wanna try it. But ill tell you now a 250 gr .45Colt at std velocity will burn clean thru a deer inside 100 yds. I know because Ive seen it. Best i can figure is the guy that posted saying it didnt penetrate was either using extremely light for caliber bullets or he hit a tree limb on the way to the deer. The .45 colt is an excellent woods gun caliber and if chambered in a light lever action its likely the only deer rifle youll ever need. And after you spend a season hunting with it itll be the only deer rifle youd ever want.

I have 2 safes full of rifles and my go to deer gun is a marlin gold trigger 1894 .44 mag that cost me 300 bucks. Its light and accurate and knocks em off their hooves.