.45 ??????

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by coonass, Aug 28, 2004.

1. coonass

coonass New Member

What is the difference between the .45 gap and .45 acp and the .45

can a .45 springfield armory compact shoot all .45 bullets ????????

I'm a longgun man just getting into pistols ....... sooooo bear with me :p
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

no

the springfield will only shoot .45 acp

the .45 gap is a shortened version made by glock Glock Auto Pistol
  3. coonass

coonass New Member

What does the ACP stand for .................
  4. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Member

Automatic Colt Pistol (?)
  5. offeror

offeror New Member

.45 Automatic Colt Pistol is the classic 1911A1 semi-auto round. Usually when you're talking a .45 semi-auto you'd be talking this round.

.45 Glock Automatic Pistol is Glock's new short .45 that fits in a 9mm sized semi-auto pistol. So far only Glocks and XDs have been introduced which are chambered in this round (others may appear soon).

.45 Colt is the old revolver round -- uses black powder I believe.
  6. coonass

coonass New Member

Thank ya'll fer the education ......... I understand now :)
  7. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

the .45 colt is also known as the .45 long colt ,and can use modern powder

and there is the .45 S&W scholfield ,45 auto rim,.45 win mag,.454 casull ,45-70,up to 45-120

none of them can be mixed like a ,38/.357 can ,you might get by with reloading them some uses a bullet diameter from .451 to .459,but the cases can not be mixed .45 long colt was a black powder round ,and some guys do still load it this way for cowboy loads ,black powder has a very high ratio to what you would use for smokeless ,example ,if a smokeless powder uses 5.0 grains ,a black powder would use 15 ,don't know the exact but you get the ideal ,if a person would mess this up the results would be Dangerous
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  9. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Just so y'all know, the GAP OUTPERFORMS the ACP in every way. Sorry, but true.
  10. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Hey Hydra - Outperforms in EVERY way?!?
    My performance depends on practice. Which depends on having LOTS of ammo. Does the GAP ammo outperform .45acp in the affordability catagory?

BTW - shot a .45 GAP for 8 rounds. Yippie, they are cool. However, I shoot the ACP for tradition as much as anything. The history is cool to me. ( GAP ain't got that neither ) anywayz.......

GLOCKS SUCK!!!!!

--Beagle
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Best check out how much it outperforms. Can clear the gap with a handload! Just sqeeked by due to new powders made for it! Add the powders to a 45 ACP and Bye, Bye 45 GAP! Glock could not make a gun to handle the 45 ACP so they decided to make a smaller round just so a Glock could handle a 45 cartidge! NO JOY! Sorry! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Try my handload in a 45 GAP and you better watch where the parts fly! :D :D :D :D :D
  12. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Check out the Aug/Sept Guns and Ammo "handguns" magazine. Interesting write-up on this topic. I would say the best performance test was in the ballistic gelatin. They posted results, here they are...
    GAP-
    185 Gr Winchester Silvertips
    12 3/8 inches gelatin penetration
    expansion-.610 inch (135%)
    but, the fragmenting bullet ended up with the primary portion weighing only 125.7 Gr (68%)

ACP-
    185 Gr Winchester Silvertips
    9 5/8 inches gelatin penetration
    expansion-.741 inch
    Slug stayed in "one beautiful piece" said Phil johnson, weighing in at 184.8 Gr

I'm sure that everyone will draw his/her own conclusions.

My take, 12+ inches means that projectile is going through your target (assailant) and ending up somewhere else. Can you say overpenetration? (no pun intended)--(sorry couldn't help that one folks!) And, the fragmentation was not the "black talon" style that the supporters of this round would like. They were kind of pathetic looking little fragments, frankly.

I think the main problem with this test.....all these rounds were fired from Glocks! :rolleyes:

OK, OK, don't lynch me, it was only a joke! Rob
  13. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Getting my information from three different magazines and one website, no personal experience of my own, but all of them agreed the GAP was superior in everything from fps to accuracy. Affordable? Damifino.

Hey Plano, did you get all of those pages of the article I scanned and sent to you, should have been 5 pages in all.

rmrdaddy, I have zero experience in reloading and ballistics information and such but in the comparison you posted betwen the ACP and the GAP I don't understand something and perhaps some of the more "enlightened ones" can shed some light on something for me. There is no difference between the bullets of the GAP and ACP, just the length of the case itself and the powder used, so if the GAP fragmented more, would that be due to the speed of the bullet? And if that is so, isn't that surpassing the speed of the ACP? No sarcasm intended, just plain ol ignorance of the subject.
  14. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Yeah, The GAP is faster.
    I didn't qoute the FPS, but the article stated that their tests had the GAP beating the ACP by at least 20FPS and 20 ft-lbs of instrumental energy.
    I know that in some crowds 9MM has a bad name...too pointy, too fast, overpenetrate. But, I have one anyway.
    I'll reach for the .45 though, if I have my druthers, and someone needs to be stopped "dead". Know what I mean?
    How many "better" mousetraps do we need? Rob
  15. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

Well said , personally I think the .45 acp is the most perfect round ever made ,so why change it to suit one gun manufacturer ,how old is it now ?

As far as ballistics go ,you could make the acp out perform the gap due to the volume of powder you could hold in the longer case ,one of the things I think the gap has changed the boiling room/headspace inside the case

Other words to break it down ,the gap will be limited to performance in reloading
  16. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Just a note on the .45 Colt....

The .45 Colt (introduced in 1873) was infact originally a black powder cartridge. With the advent of smokeless powder, the .45 Colt (along with all other cartridges of the time) was converted to a modern smokeless load.

Using Unique and Goex ffg the comparrison is....

Unique (modern smokeless powder) load for the .45 Colt = 7.5 Grs. to 9.0 Grs. behind a 255 Gr. cast bullet.

Goex ffg (traditional black powder) load for the .45 Colt = 30.0 Grs. to 35.0 Grs. behind a 255 Gr. cast bullet.
  17. stash247

stash247 New Member

HOW MANY OPTIONS DO WE NEED??? (1) Gets the job done (2) on minimum pressure (3) With exceptional accuracy (4) Every time the shooter does his job.
    If this were election day, the word ought to be "Landslide".
  18. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Marketing!

"If you can't impress them with intelligence, baffle them with BS".

Yes, the Glock Marketing team is at work. The magazines tout just about every new toy as great. Just look at all the new rifle rounds from the last few years! Throw away all those old favorites, stay up with the crowd and buy the lastest toy! BS!
  19. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Sorry we were not clear, Tony. We are debating the 45 ACP vs. the 45 GAP! Not the Colt 45. :cool: