.45??????

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by merc, Jul 4, 2003.

1. merc

merc New Member

Hi guys
    I was just prepping some .45 ACP cases for reload.
    Most .45 cases have a primer pocket around .205 diameter. (large pistol primer)
    with a small flash hole.
    I found that Winchester cases have a large flash hole.
    I also found some Federal cases with a .170 diameter pocket. (small pistol primers??).
    Have you guys ever seen this before?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi Merc and welcome to TFF. Glad to see ya posting. The primer pocket holes can vary between manufacturers. Lyman sells a great tool called the primer pocket uniform tool and a flash hole deburring tool. Some of the deburring tools have a simple drill bit on the end to make the hole more constant. Hope this helps.

I have never seen a 45 ACP case with a small pistol primer. Could that Federal brass be match type cases? that is the only thing I can think of besides the Federeal brass being military brass and it still has the primer pocket crimp on it. Does it say Federal or FCC on the head stamp. FCC would be military while Federal is commercial.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2003
  3. merc

merc New Member

Hey Tex
    The head stamp is Federal NT
    The cases that say Fedaeral without the NT ar regular Large Pistol Primers
    As for the holes being different sizes... I have reloaded cases like these before and it doesn't seem to effect performance.
    I only shoot paper--cans---plastic bottles etc anyway.
    No competition with the hand guns.
    Thanks
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay, had to do some searching, but what I believe you have are the new Federal 'Ballisticlean' cases. The 'NT' I think means non-toxic. A lot of the indoor ranges around me now require this type of ammo. It has a lead free primer in it I would go to the Federal web page and ask them if they make the primers for it or just use the cases that require the LP primer.