$450 - $650 range

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by CampingJosh, Nov 15, 2010.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

OK, I have a relatively tight budget, but for some reason a 1911 has been calling me for the last month or so. It'll be mid-spring before I get ready to make the purchase, but I'm ready to start drooling over a specific piece already, so let's go ahead and get the discussion started.

Here is what I've found that would be in my range (from Bud's Gun Shop pricing):
    American Classic
    Citadel
    Desert Eagle
    Remington
    Rock Island Armory
    Shooters Arms Manufacturing (ATI)
    Taylors & Company
    Thompson
    Taurus

I like my other Remington firearms a lot, but I don't know anything about 1911s, and I know they are new to the market (excluding the short WWI run, of course). If the Remington is at least the equal of these others, then that's probably how I'll go. Any opinions?

I'm not opposed to the used market, either, so if that's a better option, please let me know.
  2. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

Don't forget Springfield. I bought the loaded model for $650.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

4. jestor

jestor New Member

Save up all the money you can ,next year all the 100th year aniversary models will be comming out.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

My son-in-law and I both bought Rock Island 1911's a couple of years ago. I used mine as a project and installed all the better after market 1911 internals. Mine was to be used as the frame for a Marvel Precision 22LR Conversion Unit No. One. I took the remaining parts and made the slide into a 1950's style Bullseye gun with a full length Bomar Rib and sights. Mine serves very well indeed for the Marvel and shoots very well as a Bullseye 45ACP. All the after market parts fit with little adjustments EXCEPT the safety. That took major fitting (???).

My son-in-law just shoots his as is. Its accuracy that way is very good. We did have a problem with an extractor that did not have enough tension but the gunsmith at RIA helped us solve that issue ourself. My son-in-law's RIA shoots well, is reliable, and is accurate. He is very happy with it.

For a while it seemed the 1911 to have would be the Taurus 1911 as it came with all the 1911 bells and whistles. But recently I have seen many disparaging words about it, to the extent that I would not buy one. I have or had have a couple of other Taurus's that left me wanting. I don't think I'd buy another.

It surprises me that there are so many 1911 in the $500 to $650 class on the market today. Of the brands mentioned, the Springfield Arms seems to have the best following but they are a bit more than the RIA's. For the extra money I'd probably go for the Springfield Arms "Loaded" version at $650. They have a large following.

LDBennett
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Save a little and get the STI Spartan. It is the best deal going.
    RI's are a good gun for the money but depending on how much you shoot you'll be wanting to replace the internals sooner than later.
    The new remington is rough for the money in that case get the Spartan or the RI
    Taurus is hit and miss. Some are great, some have some crappy parts in them preventing them from being great.
    Thompson, meeh get a RI then
    Desert Eagle good gun but DE is not know for their 1911 series- Get the STI
    Citidel and TC I know nothing about.
    I'd leave it between the RI and the Spartan.

The colt 100 anniversary gun is a thing of beauty but I would never shoot it. Only 1000 being made. The shop I do work for has 11 on order for them when they hit. All of them are already allocated. I think they are in the 2500.00 range.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i would go springfield armory without a thought. i've looked at some ria's but the fit and finish were not what i would expect. iv'e owned 2 springfields, both were great
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

My first 1911 was an RIA and I loved it. Taurus may give you some of the more preferred features. Citadel is basically the same thing as Rock Island Armory. Made by the same company - Armscor. There was another thread about the Remington R1 and I guess it was a pretty good gun. I haven't tried any of these others you listed so I can't give an opinion on them.

I also second john's recommendation on a Springfield. That's what I own right now. Mine's the Loaded 1911. If you go with a Springfield, I would look around for a Mil-Spec. Better sights, plus you get the lowered & flared ejection port - features that don't come on the basic GI model. The Loaded Springfield may be something to look into if you don't mind a used gun. I paid $919 for mine new, so I'd think you could find one used in your price range.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    to be honest to my knowledge there are no manufactures making bad 1911 models.i may be wrong but to date i havent heard of any.if the pistol is built to spec then it cant be bad.this is my opinion so if others have horror stories we need to hear them. old semperfi
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

id go with a GI springfield armory before i'd go with a RIA.
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I couldn't have said it better Springfield all the way.......
  12. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

Must depend on what part of the country you are from. My Springfield loaded model cost me $650. new three months ago.
  13. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

old semperfi:

While there may not be "BAD" ones, there may be loose ones that suffer in the accuracy department. The slide to frame fit is critical as is the seating of the barrel lugs up into the slide. but it is all fixable. The best bang for the buck to make a loose 1911 better is the Wilson Dwyer Group Gripper. It pushes the barrel up into the lugs hard as well as the whole of the slide up against the rails. The accuracy improvement is about a 30% reduction in group size if you also fit a barrel bushing too. You don't get anywhere near that improvement doing the fitting of the barrel bushing alone. Brownells sell them:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=...mit=y/Products/All/search=Dwyer_group_gripper

LDBennett
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have two Rock Islands, a Citadel, a Kimber, and a Taurus. They are all good shooters but I will have to say that the Taurus probably shoots a little better than the rest of them.