450 lube /sizer

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by army mp, May 4, 2009.

1. army mp

army mp Member

I was lube /sizing some 357 lead and the pressure screw broke loose from the bushing. It looks like they are pressed on and peened over. I ordered a couple new ones from lyman they are cheap enough. $4.00 a piece, but lyman takes forever and a day, to ship, I was thinking of braising it back on till I get new parts. Anyone else try this. Or have a temporary fix.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have used my resizing / lubricator for about 30 years and have never had anything break on it, but mine is an RCBS Lube-A-Matic. You sure can't loose anything by trying, so give it a shot.
  3. griffon

griffon New Member

Mine pulled loose about 25 years ago and I just peened it back on. I figured the cause was the hard lube I was using. I decided that a bit of gentle heat would help.

Now I use a home-made heating plate and have had no further problems. I see that there are now heaters available from some of the reloading equipment suppliers.
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  4. army mp

army mp Member

The new part for the lube / sizer came today, Lyman surprised me, last time I ordered Die parts it took almost a month. These parts were here in a little over a week. They have changed the pressure screw , it is now a solid rod like a bolt, no more bushing on the end, this must have been a problem on the older 450s. I have had this press for about 15 years before it let loose
  5. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

I broke several on a 450 years ago using just NRA formula lubricant. Can I suggest you use a little heat on your lubricator/sizer?

CDD