454 Casull

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

robsguns
    (1/4/02 11:51:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 454 Casull
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If anyone has any experience loading the 454 Casull, especially the Ruger, please let me know, I'd like to hear of your favorite load, recommendations, etc.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/5/02 12:20:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 454 Casull
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Depends on what you want it to do. Hunting?
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

robsguns
    (1/5/02 12:33:14 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 454 loads
    I'm just going to be shooting medium target loads, easing my way into it, getting use to the weapon. Work my way quickly up to full power 300 gr. loads, provided I can hang, shouldnt be a problem. I am hoping that H110 works well, its my pref. for magnums, as well as Hornady bullets, think they'll work in the 454 like my 44? Kind of pondering what I've heard on GB about reaming cylinders to 452, sounds strange that it makes a Ruger more accurate, thought it was suppose to be chambered for a 452 bullet already. Any info. you may have on reloading for this would be welcome, I've got the info. that is on Freedom Arms sight already, it looks promising. I also have Hornadys Manual, and Speers, as well as a few of the powder manuf. but I prefer to hear from the real world experiences of people that shoot one weapon, not a test barrel. Thanks.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/5/02 12:44:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 454 loads
    Well, I'm not a big Redhawk fan but I have owned some Freedom Arms revolvers. A really good load for me for general use was 31.5gr H110 with the Freedom Arms 300gr jacketed bullet and small rifle primer..

For penetration you cant beat really hard cast bullets in the 350-360gr range. I got up to 29gr H110 with that bullet in the FA and it was pretty damn rough. Probably should NOT run that load in the Ruger.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com