.455 Webley/.455 Eley

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 12:25:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .455 Webley/.455 Eley
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK - I am a bit confused. Of course, I like Spanish pot metal. I have one pistol that was made in Spain for the Brits in WWI that is chambered in .455 Webley. Now, I am looking at an auction where someone has two top break revolvers in .455 Eley.

What is the difference in these two calibers? Am I confused? Are they confused? Are you confused yet?
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/3/02 3:55:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .455 Webley/.455 Eley
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No wonder you're confused.....COTW shows a .45 Webley, a .455 Webley Revolver Mk.II, a .455 Webley Auto, , and a .455 Enfield (all with different specs), but no .455 Eley.

If you think British guns are confooooozing, try working on some British cars!

Give an Englishman a piece of metal, and he'll do something foolish with it every time.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 7:50:31 am)
    Thats kinda where I have been thinking - I bet these revolvers are .455 Webley the felow has.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 7:58:33 am)
    More than likely that's the case. Strangely enough, I've heard of .455 Eley....but it's not in the 9th Edition of COTW.

I've got an Enfield Mk. VI (exactly the same gun as the Webley Mk. VI) in .455 Webley. It's been adapted to shoot .45 ACP with half-moon clips. A big, heavy sucker with a horrendous double-action (military) pull....but single-action, a real nice shooter.

Are the Spanish (potmetal) ones copies of the British ones?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (7/4/02 8:27:48 am)
    The Spanish ones are very similar to the British Webleys, with some minor detail variations.