.458 SOCOM Reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by S420merc, Feb 9, 2012.

1. S420merc

S420merc New Member

I just bought a Rock River 458 socom upper
    Ammo is about $2.50 a round so looking to cut down
    The cost. Planing to reload so would like to know anyone reloading this round.
    Any special problems when reloading this round
    Who has the cheapest bullets and what primer do i use.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I don't personally load it, but I have a good friend who does. It's about the most powerful deer-legal cartridge in Indiana, so it's especially popular in my area.

The SOCOM is still a very specialized round, and I don't recall having yet seen it in a printed loading manual. Your best bet will probably be hitting the load data section of the .458 SOCOM forums.

It's a cartridge I'm interested in even though I don't hunt deer. Hopefully it catches on more broadly. :)

And I don't think I've said hello yet. Welcome to TFF!
  3. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

I reload the .458 using Starline brass, Hogdon Li'l Gun and Hornady 300 gr. jacketed hollow points. I, too, have A RRA LAR458. I apologize, but I don't remember the exzact cost, but it runs about $2.00 a round for the initial load and goes dowmn from there. 30 grs. of Hogdon Li'l kicks a 300gr bullet out of the muzzle at 2100fps according to my chronograph. I agree with CampingJosh, very lethal deer round. I dropped one last year approx. 100yds out. DRT. Absolutely no need to trail. Good luck with your RRA. I am sure you will like it.