45acp/45lc convertible

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by johnnybocce, Feb 12, 2011.

1. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

Can anyone advise if it would be possible and acceptable to use a .452 jacketed bullet in a .45 acp case to use in a Ruger convertible revolver. The cylinder would be for the .45 acp. I was just thinking that I could then purchase the .452 bullets to use for both the .45acp and the .45lc.
    Thanks
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Yes, this works just fine. I have a friend that got a 4 5/8" barrelled SS Vaquero with both cylinders for his birthday last year, he's been looking all over to try to find another one to go with it. Tough to find.
  3. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

Thanks for your reply. I purchased the Ruger Blackhawk convertible in the Bisly model. SS, 5 5/8 barrel. Since I reload 45lc, I now purchased a set of .45 acp dies and plan to start reloading them as well. I just was not quite sure what the difference would mean shooting the .452 bullets out of the .45acp revolver.

Do you think it will have any bearing on case life? Do I need to worry about pressure factors inside the revolver cylinder?

JohnnyBocce
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

The barrel and forcing cone are the same regardless of what cylinder you have, therefore, no danger whatsoever of using .452 in 45 acp.

No bearing on the case life, lead runs at .452 or sometimes even .453 for 45acp depending on the gun. Pressure is only dependant upon how hot you want to load it, the Ruger will handle it has hot as the load manual states. Usually no need to load anything that hot though.
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

You can load the ACP up as hot as you want it and you won't approach the Long Colt in pressure, so if it will handle the LC it will handle anything you can throw at it from the ACP.

BTW, lead bullets for my .45 ACP are all .452. Been a while since I loaded any jacketed for it (wow, probably 25 years! I AM getting old!:p)so I don't remember what they were, I think they were .451, but I seem to remember an article WAY back in some .45 rag or book when I was shooting IPSC in the 80s about some Game Warden in Grizzly Country who carried a steel Combat Commander and loaded .45 Long Colt jacketed bullets of like 250 grain or so ahead of a REAL stiff load and he was hitting Long Colt ballistics. He said it was NOT recommended for extended use, OR the alloy Commander, but he practiced with that load a few mags a week and with standard loads about 100 rds a week and carried it daily and after a year or so the Commander showed no damage or extra wear. Don't remember if he shot any Grizzlies with it though.;)

Heck, I may even still have that magazine, I never throw anything away, I'll look for it. :p(But then again my WIFE does,:mad:)
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  6. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

You'll do fine, however I never had much luck with the convertibles (I have two) for accuracy with the ACP cylinder, possibly due to the long lead and bullet jump. I just load the LC to lower pressures for plinking and funnin' around.
    Really, it makes no sense to load hot ACP when you have the LC.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  7. johnnybocce

johnnybocce New Member

Hey Guys, thanks for your input. Especially you senior members. That's what makes this forum such a fantastic and useful site. Again I really appreciate your input.

JohnnyBocce
  8. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

I have the Ruger Convertable .45 Colt/.45 ACP.Hard to find is an understatement.
    Once I got it I tried to load up my cast bullets in the ACP cylinder.No GO.
    .452 diameter and they would not go into the cylinder.I called Ruger and once they heard re-loads?Sorry but we can't help you.So I researched in the forums.This
    is a common problem that Ruger undersized the ACP cylinder.I slugged the
    cylinder bores and came up with a .447-.448.I had 3 choices.One was to use
    factory round nose bullets.Two,was to send it to CylinderSmith.com and have them
    ream the cylinder bores.Three,buy a reamer myself and do it myself.I finally chose Three.
    Reamed it myself and the cast bullets now will pass through snugly.
    I bought the convertable to shoot the ACP's due to cheap loading and plinking.That and
    shooting the .45 Colt for bigger loads.
  9. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

Was it a stainless model? It seems many of the SS models I've seen has had this issue, less so on the blued ones.
    I've had two, both SS, that had the undersized throats, but none of the 5 blued ones I've owned have had this problem.
    I sent one of the SS back to Ruger along with a bad barrel complaint (cutter "chatter" marks) and they refused to ream them, even though a gunsmith had used a gauge set on the cylinder and found the same measurements as you did.
    Ruger's service to me has been crappy on more than one occasion.
  10. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

al45lc-It's a blued gun.It's the "New" Blackhawk.Supposedly
    Ruger made this convertable awhile back.Made some safety
    changes at the trigger and put them back on the market.
    Ruger had a rep that was super nice.Telling me to make sure
    the cylinders were brushed clean and swabbed.I told him about the
    measurments.I asked if they could ream them since they were so far off.That's when he asked if I was using factory or
    re-loads.I didn't lie.I told him re-loads and he immediately went
    into the cold mode.Almost a 2 second C-YA and that was that.
    It's a nice gun,but crappy to have to take a new gun and do a
    cylinder job on before it can be used.The Ruger guy acted dumb.Like he never had heard of this problem.Yeah right.Anyways,it's o.k. now.
    I've shot many of my lead cast .45 ACP's through it and no complaints.
    I still say Ruger makes a fine pistol,they sure messed up on those
    cylinders though.
  11. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I love the Blackhawks, I have 6, all in L.C. (what, there's another caliber? :D )
    I know one smith that backed up your statement, they have a problem with the throats. He does throating for the local S.A.S.S. guys.
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

My supplier shows one with a 4 5/8 barrel in stock, last one. I can get it and sell it for 485.00 plus shipping but would have to act right away. Its a blackhawk
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  13. bayhawk2

bayhawk2 New Member

D/D -That is tempting.Wish I'd have held off.That is
    a real good price.No.That's a great price.