45ACP Shot Shells from 30-06

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by younggunslearner, Mar 30, 2010.

1. younggunslearner

younggunslearner New Member

Hi, I just discovered that RCBS has a set up that you can turn .308 win shells into 45 ACP shot Shells (M15).

Has any one used this?

Pros and Cons?

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. wpage

wpage Active Member

Interesting...
    Do you have a link?
  3. medalguy

medalguy Member

I have a set, use it, they work fine. Feed & function my .45 M1911A1 and this is my preferred snake round when hiking in the desert.

Only possible negative is that you have to buy a lot of gas checks and shot and if you don't load shotgun as I don't, there's a lifetime of loading waiting for you already paid for. They do take a little bit of time to trim and form but then you can reuse the shells so that's a plus at least.
  4. Texxut

Texxut Member

Medal guy,
    What size gas checks do you use?
    What size shot?
    I may have both on hand already.
  5. younggunslearner

6. younggunslearner

Medalguy, so is the set that they have listed on their website for 97 bucks all I need besides the components?

Where do I find load information for this? or does it come with the set when I buy it?

Thanks.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I comes with load data. I don't use a gas check to cap it off. I use a 000 buckshot. That gives me a Malay Load. I have the shot, but if I centered it right, there's also a 33 caliber round ball goin' through Mr. Buzztail.
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

9. wpage

wpage Active Member

That is way cool...
  10. medalguy

medalguy Member

Man, you go away for a few hours and all the questions get answered!

I looked at the box of Lyman gas checks and it's so old the caliber is faded out but I measured one with a micrometer and it looks to be 35 cal. I used #9 shot but a friend loaded with these dies a few years back and I seem to recall he used #12 or something similar. I never asked how they worked but I would guess OK. I do still have the remainder of a bag of Remington .410 shot cups.

Good luck with these. Be sure to use plenty of case lube when forming the cases. I have a note in the die box to try 45 Winchester mag brass since it miked out to be thinner wall than the 308 I used. Never tried it because I still have about a hundred rounds of loaded ammo left.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

cool beans!! learned suntn new today:)
  12. Texxut

Texxut Member

Thanks for the information Metal Guy.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I used 7.62 blanks. Bad choice. I figgered, since they weren't worth anything else to me, and they were already primed, why not.

I don't know if it was the "rifle primer" or the "thicker military brass", or the combination of both, but they didn't eject well. My Gold Cup did not like them at all (but it had a very tight chamber).

So I recommend civilian brass (Winchester is usually the thinnest) and a pistol primer.
  14. younggunslearner

Thanks Guys, I talked to the RCBS Tech guy yesterday and he said that these dies have been around since the 80's...........??????.......And to look back in magazines of those times to find load data since none of today's hand loading books contain the information.

I will have to do some net surfing to find loads for this I guess.
  15. medalguy

medalguy Member

Here's a copy of a posting from several years ago of another forum that I saved. It's by Ed Harris, who I believe was the designer of the RCBS tooling and he describes the procedure for loading the 45 shotshell. A very interesting post. This is not all of it but what I required for my own use and this is the data I have used to make my own shot cartridges.

As with everything from the internet, double check everything before loading or shooting it. Use your own discretion.

Form cases from 7.62 NATO or .308 Win. brass.

Charge with 6.2 grs. W-W231 or 4.5 grs. of 700-X

Insert Remington SP410 shot cup as used in 2-1/2" skeet loads, seat firmly against powder, positioning with 3/8 dowell and a few light raps with plastic hammer.

Trim wad fingers flush with case mouth using a sharp knife.

Use Lee #069 dipper to measure 110 grains of No. 9, 8 or 7-1/2 shot.

Slide 1/2 veterinary gelatin capsule open end down over shot, twist and push until worked down snug against the shot.

Alternately you can use a card wad cut with a 3/8 punch or a .35 cal. gasheck over the shot.

Adjust final crimp to a rounded shape which will feed.

The CCI-Speer .45 Shot Loads are a commercial version of this load, but do not use the plastic shot cup, and don't pattern as tightly.

The original handloaded versions would place over 70 percent of the pattern into a 15 inch circle at 25 feet, with an average of 10 shot in a 5 inch diameter circle at that range, individual pellet energy of 2.4 ft.lbs. and a pellet count of 125 No. 9 shot, which would reliably kill snakes, birds and monkeys at jungle ranges and would do as well for rabbits, etc.