The Firearms Forum banner

45acp small primer brass new standard ?

2K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  aandabooks 
#1 ·
I'm fairly new to reloading, and have noticed the increase of "Small Primer" 45acp brass.
I'm guessing this is a trend in the industry to make only one size pistol primer

thoughts ?

i personally like the old fashioned large primer brass

#8 ·
I like it for reloading. I only have keep one size primer on hand.

#10 ·
SPP .45's are a bit less common now than they were a year or so back, at least on the club range I shoot at. I only have about 100 or so empties in SPP, usually give them away, don't really plan to switch to SPP when I have over 2500 LPP brass.

#13 ·
The thumbnail version is the .45 ACP with small primers were made to reduce lead on firing ranges by using primers that use DDNP (you can read the long name in the paper) this is also sometimes referred to as Diazole or Dinol, instead of Lead Styphnate primers commonly used. In an effort to make these special primers work other changes have been made in such things as flash hole diameter and crimp strength. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?149905-The-story-behind-small-primers-in-45-ACP Remember that some states, like CA, have outlawed lead in ammo.

#18 ·
It's not the new standard yet, but it could become that in the future. The .45ACP has a small boiler room and doesn't need a large primer to ignite the relatively small powder charge. It has kept the large primer because that's how it was designed so many years back. Big primer or small primer it's great cartridge any way you slice it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.