.45ACP taper crimp die question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WildcatFan, Mar 7, 2010.

1. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Alrighty, well I've dropped my charge and am now ready to seat some LSWC. I'm using the RCBS 3-die set and their instructions don't jive with my RCBS video in how to set the seating die. Please run through your seating procedures for a taper-crimped .45ACP LSWC in depth. Also, the Speer manual states the COAL should be 1.190. I have mine at 1.20 and the bullet "base" of my LSWC are already below the mouth of the case. Please help this taking-it-slowly newbie out on this Sunday afternoon.

Thanks in advance.
    Alex
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

your seating die applies the crimp with the die body and seats the bullet with the seating stem. Easy to set up.. step 1, run an empty case into your die and screw the die in until you feel it touch the case. then back it out about 1/8 of a turn. set the lock ring for now. Step 2, adjust the seating stem so that it will produce the desired Cartridge length. Step 3, back the seating stem off a few turns and screw the die body down 1/4 turn at a time until you get the desired crimp. On a .45acp set it so the case measures .470" at the mouth, then reset the lock ring. and the final step is to screw the seating stem down until it touches the dummy round. now every pull will seat the bullet and crimp it in place...
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Post some pictures of your problem.. if i understand correctly you say the bullet is below the case mouth? I would need a visual aid to fully understand what you are having trouble with....
  4. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Okay, I'll get a picture of it later tonight. I have a pot of country ham -n- beans, with cornbread comin' up. I appreciate your help.
  5. WildcatFan

WildcatFan New Member

Won't let me upload my pics. Hmm, that sucks. JLA, I shot you a private message. Take a peek, please.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

mmmm ham n beeeeens. answered your request, chek your notifications.
  7. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

Here's my pic. .45ACP, 200g LSWC. Again, my Speer loading manual stated a COAL of 1.190". This appears too deep, so I seated the rest to a depth of 1.250" with a case mouth of .470. Also, would you think this is safe to fire?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yes that one is a bit too deep. 1.250 should do nicely.
  9. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

Ok, thanks. That's what I thought. I have one of those bullet pulling hammers. Never done that. How do I?
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you crimping the case at all? It looks like that swc could be pulled up by hand.
  11. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

Yes, taper crimping to a mouth of .470".
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

just chuck it in the kinetic hammer and give it one sharp whack on the floor. the bullet should move out beyond 1.275" if it doesnt come completely out altogether. But thats the beauty of doing it with a kinetic hammer, if it does come all the way out, just dump the charge back in and seat the bullet to the correct depth...
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010