45LC Bullet loading Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDJ, Jun 19, 2012.

1. LDJ

LDJ Member

A friend gave me several hundred 45 lead round nose bullets. His brother had purchased them at a gun show. His brother moved and left them. He did not know if they were for 45 ACP or 45 LC. I measured them and found they are .454. Do I need to resize them to .452 to load for my 45's? I have never resized so I do not have a way to size.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Probably not.

First, rifles or pistol?

Then, if pistols, how old. If they are pre-WW2, they most likely have .454 barrels, and will like these better. Then, even if they are post-WW2, they still will likely shoot .454 bullets just fine. Many of the Cowboy Action Shooters use .454 bullets, and most of them shoot modern guns.

If it's a rifle, it would depend (and in some of the pistols, too) on how tight the chamber is. I had a 38/40 rifle. Barrel is supposed to be .401. Mine slugged .413. I loaded some using 41 magnum bullets, .411. Probably would have shot fine,but they were too large to chamber.

So, if I was you, I'd load up a couple and make sure they chamber in all the guns I plan to use them in. If it's revolvers, remember to try them in all six chambers of the cylinder, not just one.

If you do decide you need to resize them, the easiest and cheapest way is the Lee resizer. It screws into your loading press. They cost less than 20 bucks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116429/lee-bullet-lube-and-size-kit-452-diameter
  3. LDJ

LDJ Member

Thanks Alpo, They are new Revolvers. Taurus Judge, Ruger Redhawk,Uberta and a small Derriger.
    If I did resize, would I need to Lube them again?
  4. LDJ

LDJ Member

I just went to the midway site that you gave me and it showed the liquid lube with the kit. I guess that answers my question.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That liquid allox is the bee's knees, man. I love it.
  6. Killcreek

Killcreek New Member

7. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

You did not mention the bullet weight. The bullets .454 will work just fine in a .45 caliber revolver. If the .454 bullets exceed 230 grains they will not chamber in a .45 ACP. You did not mention if they were GC bases. In a revolver stay in the 12,000 CUP range if you do not know the BHN of the lead. Good Luck.:)
  8. LDJ

LDJ Member

The weight of the bullets are 240 gr.. I am not sure what a GC base is. They look just like other 45 Colt bullets that I have loaded before. I will be sure to stay below 12,000 CUP, Thanks.
  9. twobit

twobit Active Member

GC base = gas check base
  10. LDJ

LDJ Member

I learned something today. I went to some web sites and read up on gas checked boolets. I understand more about GC's now. The 45 boolets I got from a friend are PB.