45lc vs 45 auto rimmed

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Nov 15, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

compair these 2 for me please?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the .45 colt is rought 25% more powerful than the .45 ACP/Auto Rim

Std pressure loadings they are ballistic equals.

The .45 colt can be loaded to exceed .44 magnum performance from a strong revolver or rifle.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

45AR is loaded just the same as 45acp, only it has a rim. 45LC is longer case, more powerful and fatter boolits.

Is this the comparison you were thinking of? 45AR is also more costly.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The only reason the Auto Rim cartridge exists id because of the Colt 1909 and S&W 1917 DA revolvers chambered in .45ACP of the early 20th century. The .45ACP revolvers utilized half or full moon cartridge clips to facilitate headspacing for the rimless .45ACP rounds in the revolver chambers. the Auto rim cartridge allows one to shoot these revolvers without the use of such clips
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I used to have a sweet S&W 625 in .45ACP. it was a very well balanced revolver.. but I got dumb and sold it off.

THe worm here got all my Auto Rim ammo for a buddy of his.
  6. soundguy

sure.. i was just curious.

on another forum I saw people talking about a webley. since I own one I was following the thread.

i see some were not finding the 'short' 455 ammo and were talking about 45ar.

my webley has been shaves for acp and moonclips.. but I do have a early colt still in 455 and thus hve some 455 ammo..

just curious... looking at load data.. seems like 45ar is stiff for a webley if you ask me..
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

No SG. if your webley has been headspaced for the .45ACP and moon clips it will be fine for .45 autorim. it is just a .45ACP with a rim so you dont need the moon clips
  8. soundguy

really? wow...even better then. I may need to find some 45ar.

so no hadspace issues with that on a shaved cyl then?

hmm.. now next stupid question.

how would you shoot 455 in one that has been shaved? take a set of moon clips and bore the individual shell holder section out to slip around the case and still support the rim?

( thinking on the fly here.. at work and no gun or ammo in my hand to look at and size up ) being a shaved cyl.. I've never put a 455 in the cyl to see what it looked like.. and don't believe my ammo collection includes any 45ar.. or if it does.. not much and maybe purchased by accident or in a lot of other ammo maybee.

hmm... now you got me to thinking....
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, he musta kept it, 'cause he didn't sent it to me.

Oh, wait. You mean ANOTHER buddy of his?

Never mind.:eek:
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Soundguy. I've got a Webley. Been shaved. I have shot exactly 12 regular 45 ACPs in it. 45 ACP is about 50% more powerful than 455 Webley, and I saw no reason to beat the old girl up.

I load 200 grain lead SWC bullets in front of 3.0 of Bullseye. Easy on the gun. Easy on the pocketbook. Accurate as hell.

If your gun has been shaved, the 455s you have will not work. Excessive headspace.

If you buy 45 AR brass and reload light loads for your Webley, it will thank you.

Factory 45 AR (if you can find it) is just as powerful as factory 45 ACP, and so, like the ACP, is too powerful for the Webley. It's like shooting proof loads again and again and again.

You want to shoot factory AR in your revolver? Get yourself a good strong Smith.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/classics/webley/webley-mk-vi.html

If you look in the section that says "load development and shooting", you will see that the 455 is loaded to 13000 psi, while factory 45 AR is loaded to 17,400 and factory 45 ACP is loaded to 18,850, with SAAMI allowing 21,000 psi for standard ball ammo.

That is one HELLUVA difference.
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I think you got the 375HH ammo though, didn't you? Me and Josh were actually discussing that "find" and I couldn't remember who got the 11 or 12 rounds that were left.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah I did. Better "get", too. I got lots of 45 AR. Only had about two boxes of 375.
  14. soundguy

i'll look at the next show for a box of factor 45ar, and pull it and relaod down to 455 standards I guess. i simply don't like moon clips for some reason.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member