480 Ruger/Hodgdon data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by DK76, Apr 26, 2003.

1. DK76

DK76 New Member

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and this looks like the right place to ask questions. I am getting a 480 Ruger Super Redhawk next week and some reloading supplies with it. I saw the data on Hodgdon's site and thought their listed velocities were a bit optimistic. Starting loads surpassing factory stuff. Has anyone got to use Hodgdon's 480 loads and had them ran though a chrony? Just wondering if their data was accurate.
  2. 1badmagnum

1badmagnum New Member

havent handloaded 480 yet but the data is probably slightly below saami specs for maximum loads.
    hodgdon data is valid for most purposes.
    dont forget to try some 475 linebaugh from the gun.:)
  3. Brasso

Brasso New Member

I wouldn't recommend shooting .475 ammo in the .480 (if it's even possible). The reason the .480 exists is because Ruger could not make the cylinder strong enough to withstand .475 proof loads without enlarging the cylinder.
  4. DK76

DK76 New Member

480 Ruger

There may have been some confusion as the 480 is a shortened 475 Linebaugh thus the 475 won't chamber in a 480 chambered pistol. I haven't had the oppritunity to pick up the Super Redhawk yet because I've been to busy at work, but as soon as I do I will post whatever I find out about it. I saved about $200 by having a dealer about two hours drive away order it for me. Wish the locals were easier to deal with.
  5. DK76

DK76 New Member

480 Ruger

I finally got a chance to pick up my 480 Ruger Super Redhawk! So far I have only put some Hornady factory ammo through it. It looks great and shoots even better. The recoil with Hornady's factory fodder is heavy and from the handloading data I have on hand it looks like the recoil can get much worse, but the grips allow it to be managable. This is a tremendous pistol. I hope to have some reloading components soon and I will post future results if anyone is interested.