5.7 x 28 reloading ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LDBennett, Dec 9, 2011.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I am looking at the Excel Accelerator pistol MP-22/17 and the rifle version MR22/17.

The "22" versions are 22Mag and the "17" versions are 5.7x28 (centerfire). The later interests me the most because it is re-loadable and 22 Mag is not (and very expensive to boot).

The pistol version of the 5.7x28 is probably not available in CA because it is not on the approved handgun list (yet??). But the rifle interests me more anyway. Anyone got one... I know they are new. They also may not be available in CA due assault rifle features and the fact that the 5.7x28 is centerfire. The MR22 (22 Mag) is rimfire and should have no restrictions.

I can not find any of these Accelerators in anyone's stock locally so I have been invited to the factory to view them but I kind of want to know what the story is on 5.7x28 before going there to get the sales job.

Does anyone use the 5.7x28 and reload it? Can you get brass readily? Are there any problems with reloading it (like getting die sets and Dillon RL550B conversion parts or brass)? I already reload 22 Hornet (and about 29+ other calibers).

Any help with hands on knowledge would be helpful. Thanks.

LDBennett

PS: This is also posted on the "Technical" page.
  2. LDBennett

OK, Dillon doesn't make a shell holder for it (according to Dillon) and the RCBS die set is special at $75...DARN! Maybe I'll bite the bullet (so to speak) and just get the 22MAG version and buy factory ammo.

I could just buy the expensive 22 MAG ammo and to pay for it I'll give up smoking, booze, and wild girls...Wait, that won't work as I gave them up decades ago. :) :)

LDBennett

PS: repeat of post elsewhere in the forum
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

LD, I do reload 5.7X28 and have been loading it for about 4 years. I do not own one of the guns you talked about, the gun I shoot it out of, now, is a custom barrel for my Thompson Contender. I have not tried to buy any brass for it because I got such a deal on some ammo a couple of years ago that I have plenty of "fodder" to feed it.

When I first started reloading it, I had both a PS90 and a FiveseveN pistol. The blowback design of both of those weapons caused to neck of the brass to be pushed forward about 1/8 of an inch and rounded the shoulder. When I first started reloading the 5.7, I used an RCBS full length die set (which did not cost $75 at that time). I no longer use that FL die since I now only neck size them, Redding makes a set of neck size dies for it.

I posted a picture of the brass at the time I first started messing with the 5.7X28. Here is a link to that thread from 2007. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=40043&highlight=5.7X28.

I don't shoot a lot of them so I never tried to find a Dillon conversion kit for it (and now I won't since you checked on it). I load it on my LEE single stage press use the Reddign Neck die and the RCBS bullet seating/crimp die.

EDIT: I did find these at MidwayUSA:
    Full Length Die Set: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/816782/rcbs-2-die-set-57x28mm-fn
    Small Base Die Set: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/174354/rcbs-small-base-2-die-set-57x28mm-fn

If you do buy the gun in 5.7 and want to start reloadind for it, I will be happy to send you my RCBS FL die but you will have to locate a bullet seat die for it. I know it uses the same Lyman and Hornady shell holder as the .25 Automatic (RCBS and Redding Shell holders are not the same as the .25)
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  4. LDBennett

gdmoody:

Dillon use to make a shell plate for the 25ACP (supposedly close enough to 5.7 x 28 that it MAY be usable for 5.7 x 28 ???). It was the "E" plate. It is no longer cataloged and my recent email inquiry confirmed that they no longer support 25 ACP let alone 5.7 x 28 for the RL550B.

I originally was OK with 22 Mag but then saw that EXCEL was making a reloadable cartridge version, the 5.7 x 28. I could reload it in a single stage press but the EXCEL gun is a semi-auto and probably will have pretty high ammo usage. Reloading hundreds and hundreds of 5.7 x 28 on a single stage press (yes, I own one for 50BMG that also takes regular dies) is totally repulsive to me. When I got back into reloading some 25+ years ago I decided then I did not like single stage reloading and I'd buy ammo before doing it again in any volume. I do reload 50DTC (CA legal 50BMG) single stage but I only reload about 50 rounds at a sitting.

Thanks for your input.

LDBennett