5.7x28mm question?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by GoodOl'12gauge, Dec 1, 2008.

1. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Does anybody have any experience with this caliber? Im looking at the fn five seven and was wondering if this round is good for self defense?
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

Asking for opinions?? No, it was designed to punch through body armor. It would make a lousy self defence weapon unless you are rich enough to afford all the lawyers ( after the bullet gos through your house and kills the neighbors sleeping child ). My two cents and like belly buttons every one has a opinion,
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

It would work for self defense, but its terminal performance is lacking from a pistol barrel. You're looking at duplicating .22 mag performance from a 9mm size weapon.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

With all due respect that is a bit of an exaggeration.:) I have a 5.7 and I have chronographed my factory ammo with 28 grain bullets at 2300 fps. The fastest I have chronographed any 22 mags out of a 6" revolver is 1500 fps with as I recall a 35 grain bullets. Also I have an old vest and a 22 mag will not shoot through even one side from the revolver. The 5.7 will shoot through both sides of it like it wasn't even there. The 5.7 will shoot clear through a car door with the window rolled down and it will shoot holes in a car steel bumper everytime. A 22 mag even from a rifle will only dent the bumper. As for a self defense round I don't think much of the 5.7 unless one was shooting at adversaries wearing armor which it was eally designed for. In my opinion the 357 mag with a 110 grain bullet traveling at 1600+ fps is hard to beat for self defense and a 45 auto shooting 230 grainers at 900+ fps is by all means very formidable as well. That is my two cents and that is probably all its worth.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. delta13soultaker

I understand. I'll agree it is a bit of an exaggeration, but not too much. All else aside, I'm just talking about terminal performance.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

Would you please explain "terminal performance" as I am clue less what that term means.::)confused: If I had to guess it means the ability to terminate a gun fight?
  7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I am unable to comment on its performance in a handgun but found this calibre to be surprisingly potent when I used a P90. I imagine in a handgun it would be an excellent defensive calibre, though penetration must be an issue in a civilian environment. It will certainly go where 9mm and .45s cannot.
  8. delta13soultaker

As in, what it does inside the body. The mechanics of how the bullet destroys tissue in order to stop/kill.

Hope that helps. I'll try to explain more in depth later. Short on time right now.
  9. delta13soultaker

Tranter I like the P90 too. Very much.

I wish I'd got to play with them more, but the MP7 4.6mm was favored where I come from.
  10. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Delta, once again I get the feeling we have played in the same sand box?

The P90 is an excellent weapon, short and compact with a calibre that counts and is easy to shoot on full auto. Really lets you get a hold. The top side easy change mags and bottom ejection is a bonus. Best of all, its a Browning!

It's interesting you like the 4.6mm. The UK was going to go to the 4.85 in a bull pup (EM2, which morphed into the SA80) after the 7.62 SLR. I understand NATO pressure made us go 5.56 with inferior ballistics. Having said that I remain a fan of the M4, or Car15 as we over 50s know it.
  11. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

Well, I wanted the pistol for the farm, whether it be for punching a whole i the motor of a thieves vehicle or taking out coyotes, and well obama insurance
  12. delta13soultaker

Tranter, I been in all the sandboxes where Mohammed is a prophet and some tropical places too:D

I only have one complaint on the SA80: that nightsight mounted where the SUSAT goes makes people point the weapon at everything and everyone in the dark. Maybe it's just a Brit thing:)

Sorry for the 5.56mm. That was before my time. When I came around, we were already as emerged in 9mm Para as we ever would be. I understood it as a kind of NATO trade off....we forced 7.62x51 and 5.56x45 down everyones throats, it was only fair we picked up 9mm. Doesn't matter to me anymore, I was a 9mm hater, but I've seen 9mm work and it if it's ineffective, the ammo never got that memo. I've seen the .45/9mm thing go in circles and probably always will until body armor makes them both yield to different calibers.

For practical purpose, (if anything is actually practical in some types of warfare) the HK7 has size/weight going for it. It's size means it can be concealed and presented just like our predecessors did with CZ Vz 61's/82's/361's when there was that wall in Berlin etc. Nobody reinventing the wheel. Availability for 4.6mm ammo is already established near current theater of ops. And according to people who test such things, the 4.6mm will punch through body armor further away. It's the 21st century scorpion is what I'm saying. I'm gonna start rambling. The next cold war will give somebody better insight I guess.

For the P90, it feels like part of your hand in no time training with it. That's really why it lets you keep a hold. Where's it gonna go? You guys really have a thing for pups. It's a Browning design you mean?

GoodOl'12gauge, I guess it's as good a farm gun as any for running off bandits. Shot placement, ya know. But compared to other similar sized handgun platforms, not as forgiving about poor placement. The solids make a small wound channel and velocity is too low to fragment. The Vmax won't penetrate very far into a 180 lb man. etc etc. There is a jacketed hollowpoint, but it and the Vmax won't punch through an engine block...even an alloy one.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Bahahah all this 4.6 talk... I have an H&K lanyard I got my keys on featuring the MP7 and matching P46 for the 4.6 x 30. :D

I'd love to get my hands on a Five-seveN someday. Pretty pricey though.
  14. delta13soultaker

I'm holding out for a light saber:p
  15. But Delta, I thought all you spec ops boys already had those! I mean, after all, they issue them to the Marines instead of M4s. :eek::D
  16. delta13soultaker

If we had a light saber, there'd be a nondisclosure agreement somewhere, so I couldn't admit it no way:D:D

p.s. Those aren't light sabers ya saw those Marines fighting with. They were roadguard lights:D:):D

Attached Files: