50 A&E Load help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by vdsgw, Dec 18, 2011.

1. vdsgw

vdsgw New Member

I need help with 50 Action Express loads. I have 275 gr lead bullets and can't find data for less than 325 gr bullets. Also any start loads using Alcan 7 powder would be a help. I currently have a lot of it and use it for 44 mag. and 45 acp loads. thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

What are you shooting the .50AE in? If its a DE gas operated handgun I would advise against using lead in it. The lead will clog the gas system and its next to impossible to get out.

I have never heard of Alcan 7 powder. But if its suitable for .44 mag AND .45ACP then its most likely got a burn speed somewhere between unique and bluedot and is far too fast burning for use in the .50AE.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I'm with JLA on this one, none of my data shows any of the components you mention, I recommend the speer 300gr plinkers for budget loading. If the wrong charge can turn a 1911 into a handgrenade the DE 50ae will become a nuclear bomb!
  4. vdsgw

vdsgw New Member

Sorry, the bullets are Rainer Plated bullets. And are being shot in a Desert Eagle Pistol. Current load data does not have much choice.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Prolly not the best choice of projectile for the DE either. Being gas operated the plated lead can end up gummed in the gas system. I would stick with jacketed bullets and H110 for that mancannon.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Not to say you cannot use them, but I would think that the heavy crimp required for the 50AE cartrige will deform a plated bullet and the OAL will change possibly to an unsafe OAL before entering the chamber.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011