.50 Beowulf

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 2nd Amendment, Jun 24, 2012.

1. 2nd Amendment

2nd Amendment New Member

I am interested in purchasing .50 Beowulf, along with a few other smaller caliber rifles. For the most part I am a newbie when it comes to firearms, especially with bigger caliber guns, but I have always dreamed of owning a .50 cal one day.

I know these are pretty rare, but can any of you owners comment on the rifle itself? And what do you think about a newbie getting a .50 cal?

You know what they say... Go big or go home!

Thanks.
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

You will see alot of them for sale for a reason. Not very practical unless you are at a check point stopping vehicles. The Coast Guard uses them here in Florida to shoot outboard engines on boats that won't stop. Are you going to reload? if not be prepared for some costly ammo.
    I was looking into a .50 caliber Serbu rifle and it was in the 3K range and then ammo was $2.00 a round and the nearest range that is 500 yards plus is a 4.5 hours drive from here so I stuck to my largest calibers in the .308 and .30-06
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I dont really understand why some people prefer that a new shooter should be pointed out to certain guns because the shooter is new. If you want a 50 caliber gun then buy it. Id like to get a Bushmaster or Barret .50 cal but they are just too expensive and the ammunition is high as well. Do you want to hunt with this rifle or just use it for target shooting? If you ever hunted Cape Buffalo, I can almost guarantee you that one 50 cal chunk of lead would go through two of them if right next to each other.
  4. BillM

BillM Active Member

50 Beowulf is NOT 50 BMG!

It's a rebated rim 50 cal that will work in a standard length AR
    rifle. As stated, not really practical, but if you just gotta have
    one go for it. Factory ammo runs around $1.25 a pop. It would
    probably be an interesting thumper loaded subsonic through a
    can.
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

6. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Out to 200 yards, the beowolf is devastating on mechanical stuff. I'd hate to see what it would do to living stuff.
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Thank you Bill...I didn't want to get into all that....
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

It was designed to take the place of shotguns at roadblocks. IN 2003 everyone we had a CENTCOM in Tampa went to Iraq. We signed them out to troops and never saw them again...
  9. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

I have had a 50 Beowulf for quite a few years. Ammo can be hard to find. Easy to shoot.

Since then I got couple 50BMG single shots. I never shoot the Beowulf any more. Love the 50BMG and the ammo is easier to get. They have a good sujpresson on them so recoil only is like a shotgun.
    Me shooten one of my 50's
    [​IMG]
    Under $2000 in rifle and 500rds of ammo so far. From *********
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  10. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

My Beowulf
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

We had a .50 Caliber Single shot like that made by Iver Johnson in the First Gulf War in my Sniper platoon with 3/2 STA. It had a 17X Leopold on it and he shot oil drums at 17-1800 yards with it...AWESOME RIFLE.