.50 BMG brass: worth anything?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jdunmyer, Nov 15, 2008.

1. jdunmyer

jdunmyer New Member

I might have an opportunity to pick up some .50 BMG military brass at scrap or near-scrap prices. As I have no direct interest in this caliber, it'd be strictly on a "possible profit" basis. Questions:

Is there a market for this stuff, say at gunshows or online sites?

Would it be worth my while to get dies, rig up a sizing press, and clean/decap/resize the stuff, along with swaging primer pockets?

Thanks!!
  2. bailenforcer

bailenforcer New Member

I have seen .25 to .50 cents a piece offered for them by reloaders. Find a relaoding board that caters to 50 cal reloaders. Not to mention selling it for scrap it's what 8 shells = one pound?

*********.com theres people selling it there.

http://www.*********.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113232995

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  3. jdunmyer

jdunmyer New Member

I've found some sites that are "asking" as much as $2.00/round for brass, but I don't know if any of it is "selling" at that price. :)

It definitely isn't worth my while to fool with it for $.25/round, but would be at $.50 if I didn't do any work to it.

Thanks for the information!!

<<Jim>>
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

do you know how many times its been cycled? Knowing this will help tremendously in finding a buyer that is willing to pay good money for them. You will be hardpressed to find anyone willing to pay anything for them not knowing if they are going to separate at the case head on the first firing...
  5. jdunmyer

jdunmyer New Member

It's military brass, so I'd assume that it's once-fired.

It seems to me to be fairly simple to build a hydraulic press of some sort to resize/deprime it, also to use the same outfit for primer pocket swaging. I'd only do that if it adds significant value to the brass, as dies would be the better part of $150.00, plus the effort in building the press. Not to mention the work on the actual brass, of course.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

check the primers. if they are still crimped in then chances are they are indeed once fired. I wouldnt even sweat processing them at all. Most reloaders prefer to do that themselves as it aides the inspection process. you may tumble them a few at a time to clean them up somewhat but you shouldnt have a problem selling them. Heck id bet there is a forum member that might need them here on this forum.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

BTW if i were in the market id be willing to pay .75 to 1.00 a shell for once fired .50 BMG brass, its getting harder to find and the stuff you can find is either drilled for dummy use or damn expensive...
  8. jdunmyer

jdunmyer New Member

JLA,
    The primers are indeed crimped in. I think the stuff came from the Coast Guard.

Will see if it's still available later this week and may grab some if it is.

Thanks!!
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I have seen them going for as much as 2.00/per