.50 BMG, electrically primed

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by InigoMontoya, Jul 22, 2004.

1. InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya New Member

As the topic implies, I'm looking for a source of electrically primed .50 BMG for MIL-STD-2105C testing purposes.

IDEALLY, it would be a supplier who could sell full-up custom rounds(1).

I do, however, have .50 BMG reloading capabilities (although I'm trying to get out of that business!) so at worst case a source of primers would suffice.

I admit I haven't exactly done an exhaustive search yet (read: 5 minutes on Google), but I'm hoping somebody around here knows of source right off the top of their head.

So do you?

(1) Muzzle velocity / etc. to match 2105C in MY gun.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I have no idea where to tell you to go, but I will take this opportunity to welcome you the THE forum. Newcommers buy the first round in the Pumphouse Saloon. :D

Pops
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I don't know of a specific maker of such ammunition, but you might try the listing below.

Arizona Ammuntion

The only manufacturer of electronic primers I know of is Remington for their new electronic trigger rifle. I don't think they would have them for sale to reloaders at this time.

By the way, welcome to TFF! :) :) :)
  4. InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya New Member

Thanks for the AA link (but they say they can't do it).

About the Remington.... When you say they don't sell the to reloaders at this time, do you mean the product hasn't hit the market yet or do you mean they simply aren't selling the primers to the public as anything other than a full up round? If the latter, I may yet give them a call as I'm not the general public (hint: would the public care about MIL-STD-2105C(1)?).

(1) For those not familiar: That's a testing protocol the military uses to test all new ordnance.

edit: I just got off the phone with Pac-Nor. I know they make 20 mm barrels and I know that (at least in military circles) 20 mm tends to be electrically primed so I figured they could feed me the name of someobyd who makes the 20 mm (seems like it ought to be a reasonable lead to a electric 50 bmg?). They couldn't (said their customers had their own suppliers). But I'll add this as a fall back question to you folks...anybody know of a source for electrically primed 20 mm?
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Remington makes ammo for their rifles. I do not know if they have primers for the reloaders yet.

Never worked with MIL-STD-2015, but I work with MIL-STD-883 ALL day long! So, if you are at China Lake, you should have no problem getting what you want.
  6. InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya New Member

GETTING it? Yeah, easy as pie.

LOCATING/IDENTIFYING? That's the hard part. ;)
  7. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

I read on Benchrest central they are making primers for the X-Remingtonb now. Ssome there started reloading them. Now Remington is stopping the production of the rifle so i've read.
  8. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I know that remington is selling thier primers for their electric guns. I had a gun smith that turned his 243 in to a 6mm remington. He hated the price of the primers(.25 each so that should give you and idea). As for electric 50bmg well I will ask around here at the Logistic Base for info but I don't think that they sell to the public.

Ray
  9. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

If you are doing something to benefit the military as you imply, why not simply ask them? Electric primed munitions are standard for many airborne weapons systems. If you have the credentials, it should be simple enough to find a supplier. This is not a knock, but this sure seems like the most direct approach.