.50 BMG

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/26/01 9:10:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .50 BMG
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ken, didn't there used to be a category on TFF just for rifles shooting the big .50 BMG. ??? Or did I see that elsewhere??

Alphamale
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/26/01 9:18:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .50 BMG
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There used to be one, but it wasn't getting any activity so it got canned.
    To run from trouble is foolish, to look for it... even more so

kdubaz
    (7/26/01 11:59:57 pm)
    Now, Jack!

Don't tell me you've decided to up-gun to a .50 Cal bolt action for long range elk this year!!
    Keep below the ridgeline!

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/27/01 9:19:27 am)
    Well, Ken. I have two big strapping teen-age boys who keep me jumping just to keep them busy. I think they are tiring of the .223 . Most of my 30/338 ammo is gone.
    I borrowed a nice bolt action single shot from my dentist. (my old college room mate). I had about 100rnds of Willie Peter that a student gave me. Anyway, I shot this rifle into the rimrocks! What a hoot! I think it weighs 23 lbs and he has a 32 power scope on it. He said it was sighted for 1,000 yds but we were shooting about 750. And you had better wear ear muffs. Anyway, I have now seen several advertised but they have a couple of problems. First I guess is cost. Some want up to $8,000. My friend said he paid 4K for his and all the accessories.
    Second is that some have an odd way of loading. You remove the bolt, put shell inside the extractor and replace the entire thing. I'm not sure I like tht. The one we played with, you just toss a shell in the open breech and close the bolt. No safety, by the way.
    Anyway, we wondered if we could find one that we could afford and maybe trade off my old Springfield trapdoor and something in order to get "more Modern". Jack

kdubaz
    (7/27/01 12:07:05 pm)
    Golly Ned, Jack !

At anywhere from $1.50 to $5.00 a pop, depending on what you're shooting, just a few rounds of that .50 cal stuff will be a full day's shooting fun for me! This is where that W-W 860 will really shine.

We've delegated two benches at the range for .50 cal shooting - both at the extreme ends of the line! If someone uncorks one in the middle under the roof, it clears benches all down the line with the blast and noise coming from the muzzle breaks they all have. Being beside one of those with the cannon type break on it results in a physical pressure and noise wave hitting you.

Probably one of the best places to look for a trade is on the "Wish List" on AuctionArms auction site. (www.auctionarms.com) People list all kinds of stuff there they want or would like to trade.

Yes, I've seen the guns list anywhere from $2500 on up, depending what you get on them. Sometimes, there are such rifles for sale at the gun shows. I don't intend on buying one, but if I did, I'd look for the longest barrel and the most weight available.

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/27/01 4:03:39 pm)
    OK, thanks Ken. I'm new at this trading, auction, etc on the web and am quite hesitant to do anything.

Alphamale, do you know if any forum now talks about .50 BMG?? I only haunt the two sites by Matthew and Livefire so I don't know what else is on the WWW.
    Thanks for your help. BTW, the pool party on Matthews site is a real hoot!!!!!!!!

Alphamale
    (7/27/01 5:41:09 pm)
    Here's the best links I can find right now:

www.fcsa.org/

www.fcsa.org/visitors/index.html?contents.html&title.html&visitors_VHP/vhp_back.html

www.50bmgstore.com/

I'll look around a bit more, I know there's some chat boards out there talking about the 50.

To run from trouble is foolish, to look for it... even more so

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/30/01 10:13:07 pm)
    oldguide, Try State Arms Gun Co. They have some that may interest you, $1800.00 with tactical stock, and $2250.00 with custom laminated stock. Looks like a bolt gun also. phone 608 849-5800

or try:
    www.brownssportinggoods.homestead.com/Products3.html

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/4/01 12:24:01 pm)
    Ok, Tuck. Have State Arms video ($10) and it also loads by removing the bolt, placing shell under extractor and replacing the entire assembly.?????? What do you think of that arrangement??

I have beenf told by a local gunsmith that my 1884 Springfield is worth "between 1200 and 1800" which is quite a spread. I would surely consider trading it for all or part of a .50 BMG. I don't shoot the 45/70 any more.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (8/4/01 12:41:37 pm)
    DANG!! and I always thought the biggest fire power I had in the early 80`s, was a .58 Hawkin with a very large maxi on top of 120grs of 4FG BP.......talk about some WHUOMP!!!!!
    "am not" R2

kdubaz
    (8/4/01 3:45:06 pm)
    Jack, as you know, the spread on your Trapdoor is depending if you lay it on the counter to sell, or if someone follows you down the aisle hanging onto your belt and wanting to buy it!

About the closest I've come to the .50 cal's is plugging my ears and turning my head when someone touches one off at the local gunrange. I would think the one you're talking about should be just about as good as any of them if you want the boys to lob lead 'cross canyon at targets. These are pretty much specialty firearms and would imagine the resale would be rather hard - just like your Trapdoor. Most people aren't too willing to shell out the kind of money it takes to feed that blaster on an everyday basis. Knowing you're pretty isolated where you are, the only way to sell the Springfield is thru web auction sites, local gun shows, or try and find some of the BP cartridge shooters when they get together to shoot.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/4/01 10:27:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: .50 BMG
    Jack,

The 50 forum has now been incorporated into the
    "Large/Small Bore Rifle forum, so feel free to post
    anything you like on the 50.
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/8/01 10:11:44 am)
    OK, Tac. Thanks. I just take things slow.

polishshooter
    (8/20/01 11:55:02 pm)
    Hey OldGuide, why not use the .50 WP on the Elk?

Maybe you could drop 'em, gut 'em, and fry 'em at the same time!

Closest I ever got was a .458 Win Mag a guy I knew was trying to use up two boxes of 500grain Jacketed RN in just for the brass. Darn things looked like stogies.

One of our friends showed up after we were all shot out after about 3 rounds each, he handed him the rifle, told him it was an 06, and it was loaded, asked him to shoot it to check the scope...the guy casually touches off a round, and the scope left a neat gash over his eye, bled for a while!...I think they are still not talking to this day.
    Eibar Pimp. "Pssst! 'Ay Meester..."

AntiqueDr
    (8/21/01 11:40:01 am)
    Did pretty much the same with a Ruger #1. I had traded into the rifle (#1 Tropical in .45 for some reason that probably sounded good at the time. Anyway, I had decided to keep it (similar reason, I'm sure) and had loaded some 1/2 speed loads. Shooting it offhand at 50yds, felt like .45/70, good hog medicine.

Had some factory 500gr Win in the box. Range goober (you know the type) came up wanting to know what I was shooting. ".458 Mag", bang! with a 1/2 speed. "Can I shoot it?" "Sure." Handed him the rifle and a factory load. No more range goober.

Anyway, long time ago.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

ruffitt
    (8/23/01 7:52:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: .50 BMG
    Jack-

If you're interested in a 50BMG - check out: pub34.ezboard.com/fthefir...D=25.topic

If you can but one for the price he is stating, looks like it might be just up your alley.

ruffitt

oldguide32
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/4/01 11:59:09 am)
    Thanks Ruffit. I was off board for awhile but Tlynn was here at my house for a couple of days and she also suggested that I hit that link. I'll keep you informed.