50 cal. ammo can

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by upsguy, Feb 15, 2011.

1. upsguy

upsguy New Member

Does anyone use one? How much weight can one of these things hold?
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

you could fill it with loose bullets, as many as it will hold and it will take it

i have a few. and i have some 30's and a grenade box
  3. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I just got a couple of them and stuffed 1000 rounds of factory .45ACP ammo in one. Thats alot of weight, I couldn't find any weight limits online, anywhere. I just wouldn't want to break off the handle while carring it.:eek:

That could hurt...
  4. johnlives4christ

i dont think i've ever heard of one breaking. i know i've done some tests on a few bu throwing them down stairs. no problems. it'd be neat to see someone pull the handle though and see what it took to rip it off. i expect though it'd be more then you could put in one
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'm confident that the handle is stronger than I am. If I can lift it, I'm not going to pull the handle off.

I use them for storing my ammo, and I really need a few more. They're incredibly handy.
  6. johnlives4christ

the local gunsmith is selling clean ones for 5 bucks each josh. 4 for the 30's. shame i aint got like... 500 dollars to spend
  7. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I went to a gun show this past weekend and got two of them, almost brand new. I really like them alot and will get several more at the next gun show, in two weeks. You gotta love the grease smell they have, kinda like enjoying the smell of Hoppes #9. ;)
  8. johnlives4christ

what did you pay the gunshow? its been a long time since the last gunshow i went to but i think they was asking 8.o0
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The last gun show up here was asking $11 each for .30 or .50 cal cans. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
  10. upsguy

upsguy New Member

I paid $10 for each, the "stamp" and markings indicate they were built in 2010 and 2009. These cans are really brand new, no rust or dents. I think thats a fair price.
  11. Sandman

Sandman Member

They are stronger than you are.
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Our tax dollars pay for mine. My son in law brings me home a few every time he comes home. It's usually an asortment of 30 and 50 cal boxes. Just gotta say thanks to the USMC.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

those things will hold much more than you can pick up. I have a 50 can filled with cleaned lead ingots for casting. prolly something on the order of 300 or 400 pounds in there. its been sitting in the corner for months and i just get lead out as I need it...
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I also have one full of leads ingots, I cannot pick it up. I have several more full of ammo that I get my Grandson to pick up for me when I get ready to move them. I really don't think there is a danger of tearing the handle off one!
  15. Juker

Juker New Member

They're the best - exactly the right container for what they're intended for. I have a WWII .50 that I got at a gun show for .50 cents in the 1960s, still in pristine shape and holding pistol ammo. I can lift it, but I know better than to set it on the bed. I have a more modern .50 can that opens on the end (as opposed to the side), paid $8.00 for it and it's full of 12 gauge.