The Firearms Forum banner

.50 Cal Bear Load Help?

7K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  ElvinWarrior 
#1 ·
Looking for some suggestions a load for my T/C Omega .50 Cal. Going Black Bear Hunting in Alaska.

#4 ·
10 gauge not necessary for black bear, what you use for deer will work just as well. A ball and at least 80 gr of FFg, whatever shoots the best in your gun and what you are comfortable with. Magnum loads not really required. 90 gr of Goex FFg just happens to be my best 100 yard load with round ball in my gun, (Lyman Cougar in-line). Keep your powder dry and your camera handy.

#7 ·
Bearkiller, sorry no suggestions, but I am real envious!!!! Be carefull, good luck, and make sure to bring us back plenty of pics! Welcome aboard!
Thank you. I'm going to work with a T/C Shock Wave 250 Grain Spire point and work with Hodgen Triple 7 Pellets 50 and 30 Grains. This will give me a 80-90-110-120-150 Grain loads to work with. I've got to figure out how to post some pictures. I got a 450 lbs. Black Bear in 1997 and another 300+ in 2008. Think the Muzzleloader will make it fun. Thanks again for the welcome.
BEARKILLER

#8 ·
10 gauge not necessary for black bear, what you use for deer will work just as well. A ball and at least 80 gr of FFg, whatever shoots the best in your gun and what you are comfortable with. Magnum loads not really required. 90 gr of Goex FFg just happens to be my best 100 yard load with round ball in my gun, (Lyman Cougar in-line). Keep your powder dry and your camera handy.
Thanks, but my T/C Omega only shoots Sabots due to the tight twist.
Bearkiller

#9 ·
What kind of range are you hoping to achieve? Every muzzleloader shoots a little different so, it kinda depends on what your gun likes. I have a TC that likes 150 grains of powder and 260 grain Power Belts and another that likes 100 grains of power and 200 grain T/C Game Shock. If I had to pick a gun for bear I'd chose the one that likes the heaver bullet. I would try to work up a heavy load and see what your gun likes to shoot. Is your Omega a Mag? Just don't try to go over 100 grains of powder if it isn't a Magnum. Hope this helps.

#10 ·
........correction and after thought. The Powerbelts are 295 grain. I went and looked after I posted to make sure I got it right. I don't shoot them much any more because the T/C Game Shock preforms better for me and I'm shooting whitetails so, 200 grain bullets do the job nicely. Plus I get more range out of them. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the Powerbelts so I hesitate to recommend them.

#13 ·
I shoot a t/c encore pro-hunter. A load that works well for me consists of 110gr. Blackhorn 209 with a 290gr Barnes tipped bullet lit by a CCI mag shotgun primer. Usually produces 1 1/2" to 2" at 100 yds.
I'm going to work with bullets between 250-300 grains, HODGEN 777 and see what groups I get. Don't plan on shooting outside 100 yds.
Thanks, BEARKILLER

#15 ·
I used triple seven but, it leaves a fouling ring making reloading a little difficult. I just want to warn you about Blackhorn 209 if you decide to use it. This propellant is a bit different, it is pretty much non-corrosive and high energy. It eliminates that fouling ring and you should not load over 120gr max with bullets less than 300gr weight. Also, it is harder to ignite than most propellants and should be used with the hotter shotgun mag primers for good ignition. I owned an Omega and they seem to have a very tight bore, the Blackhorn 209 and crushed rib sabots pretty much solved the quick reload problem and the muzzleloader doesn't have to be cleaned immediately.

#20 ·
I've heard good things about Blackhorn 209, but I really like the pellets. The Triple Seven is Sulfur free and should allow 2 or 3 shots before cleaning the barrel. Thanks for the info. BEARKILLER
I've shot it all through my Omega. 777 and Pyrodex are sugar based and develop a "crud" ring after one firing. You MAY get another sabot down the barrel, but at great cost to loss of accuracy. IMO you must clean between shots with something like Windex--one wet patch and two dry ones and you're back in business.

I hear people say they find pellets more convenient, but all you need is a hunter B/P measure and pour it in a speedloader like you would pellets. It's also WAY cheaper to buy a bulk can of loose stuff than a four ounce box. Also, 777 and Pyrodex have a definite shelf life in a moist environment. BH209 has none of these faults; it's nitrocellulose like any modern rifle propellant so it's inert to water, it's designed for sabots and leaves a very slight soot layer after each shot. Just load another charge, seat it and shoot. I'm getting 1/2" accuracy (at 100 meters) with a Barnes 250 TMZ and 110 gr. charge. It kills BIG hogs with authority, and BIG boars are tough dudes. I've loaded it in my rifle and carried it for more than four months, then shot and killed a 202 lb. (gutted) boar at 218 yards with that load. I also get 2 1/2" groups at 300 yards.

Attachments

#22 ·
I have also got groups that ripped one hole at a 100yds but, 1 1/4" more than most. About cleaning your muzzleloader, I realize you won't have to clean it immediately. I personally would trust Blackhorn 209 to not cause any problems and work in any weather conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.