.50 Cal Bear Load Help?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by BEARKILLER, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

No muzzleloader has to be cleaned immediately.
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

My advice would be to load the Barnes 290 gr. TEZ sabot. All copper, deep penetration, lots of k.e. and fairly flat shooting. I'm a big fan of Blackhorn 209 powder as well and it shoots the Barnes in your T/C very well.
  3. BEARKILLER

BEARKILLER New Member

I've heard good things about Blackhorn 209, but I really like the pellets. The Triple Seven is Sulfur free and should allow 2 or 3 shots before cleaning the barrel. Thanks for the info. BEARKILLER
  4. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

A .50 cal. muzzle loader will take down any north American bear.......if your close enough and have good shot placement. Oh and if your not distracted by that trickle running down your leg, :D
  5. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I've shot it all through my Omega. 777 and Pyrodex are sugar based and develop a "crud" ring after one firing. You MAY get another sabot down the barrel, but at great cost to loss of accuracy. IMO you must clean between shots with something like Windex--one wet patch and two dry ones and you're back in business.

I hear people say they find pellets more convenient, but all you need is a hunter B/P measure and pour it in a speedloader like you would pellets. It's also WAY cheaper to buy a bulk can of loose stuff than a four ounce box. Also, 777 and Pyrodex have a definite shelf life in a moist environment. BH209 has none of these faults; it's nitrocellulose like any modern rifle propellant so it's inert to water, it's designed for sabots and leaves a very slight soot layer after each shot. Just load another charge, seat it and shoot. I'm getting 1/2" accuracy (at 100 meters) with a Barnes 250 TMZ and 110 gr. charge. It kills BIG hogs with authority, and BIG boars are tough dudes. I've loaded it in my rifle and carried it for more than four months, then shot and killed a 202 lb. (gutted) boar at 218 yards with that load. I also get 2 1/2" groups at 300 yards.

Attached Files:

6. BEARKILLER

BEARKILLER New Member

OK Thanks for all the info. I'll give it a shot. Bearkiller
  7. dhom

dhom New Member

I have also got groups that ripped one hole at a 100yds but, 1 1/4" more than most. About cleaning your muzzleloader, I realize you won't have to clean it immediately. I personally would trust Blackhorn 209 to not cause any problems and work in any weather conditions.
  8. ElvinWarrior

ElvinWarrior New Member

Don't gobble down all the Bear Meat before you head home !!! Salt and smoke some and I will buy a nice bear roast from you and I will give you a good price !!!

Sincerely,

ElvinWarrior... aka... Dave, "EW"