50 cal flintlock pistol

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by berrde, Jan 13, 2012.

1. berrde

berrde New Member

does anyone have, shoot, or have shot a 50 cal flintlock pistol, i would like to get one, but where do i start, in pa you can hunt a special muzzleloader season, but a pistol has to be a 50 cal flintlock, i have done some searching on web, but would like some feedback on models and accuracy, i hunt in the woods where a 50 yd or less shot would be possible
  2. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Have succesfully hunted whitetail deer in New Hampshire with a flint pistol.The one that had the best handling and power was one of the old round butt CVA Mountian pistols,the flinter version may be hard to find but worth it.Was shooting a .490 RB with a .015 patch and a wad over the powder in front of 60 grains Goex FFFG.Stiff,but broke both shoulders on a 200 lb. buck at 25 yards.
  3. dcriner

dcriner Member

I bought my .50 cal flintlock pistol, a "custom" Kentucky reproduction, from Track of the Wolf. You could keep your eye peeled there.

Does it have to be exactly .50 cal, or is that the minimum? Dixie has various flintlock pistols - built and as kits. Some are rifled and some are smoothbores.

50 yards with a muzzleloading pistol might be a bit dicey, at least for me.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012