50 Caliber BMG vs 270

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Dec 20, 2011.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Id like to know how much difference in recoil and loudness that the 50bmg has over a .270? Id appreciate it, Im just curious. Id sure like to buy a Barret 50 but I dont know if Id be able to afford the high priced ammo for it :eek:

Thanks, John:cool:
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The barrett with the waffle iron muzzle brake on it feels like a heavy .243. but the blast is nothing like youve ever experienced. The big fitty is in its own wheel house in that regard. Its the most spectacular thing Ive ever experienced. And yes the ammo is very pricey, even handloading will run you 3 bucks a round. Buying milsurp will run you about 5 bucks a round.
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

With a brake on a 50, you will want double being protection
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

We have a 50DTC (50BMG with the neck pushed back a few thousandths to be CA legal) that we have been loading to the bottom of the 50BMG reloading specs. It is a bolt action conversion unit on a AR lower. The recoil is like nothing you have ever felt. It is a BIG !! push and not sharp at all. In a seated position with the gun rested on the bench it will push your shoulder back a good foot. Do make sure you give the scope bell plenty of distance or the gun will poke you in the eye during recoil. The muzzle break will clear the shooting table of anything on it! The concussion can be felt for many! feet from the gun. If the soil in the area is at all dry it will raise a small dust cloud.

Then there is the noise. You have to double up the hearing protection on the gun side of your head and make sure the stock does not push your hearing muffs off you head (made that mistake a couple of times and ended up with the ears ringing).

These guns are fun because everything about them is massive. We are still fire forming brass (from 50BMG to 50 DTC) but shooting beyond 1000 yds and hitting targets of opportunity. We set some bus brake drums our at over 200 yards and hit them no problem. The steel cored bullets (about all you can get for a reasonable price in component form) go through the thick wall of the huge break drum, hit the other side and spin around inside. We recovered one and it is awesome looking.

Make no mistake. The 50BMG is NOT for the faint of heart. I shoot some pretty hard recoiling guns and none compare to the 50DTC (50BMG)!

LDBennett
  5. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

O You so got to post a pick of the bullet!!!:D
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Comparing a Barrett .50 against a standard weight .270, it would be my opinion that the felt recoil of the .270 would be slightly more. As far as volume, who cares? You shoot with hearing protection. To answer your question, if you shoot a .50 BMG without hearing protection, you are going to suffer noticable hearing damage very quickly. I actually shoot the thing with my lips open. To me the .50 going off has more volume and Concussion than the Def Tecs we use on our entry team and they will daze you a bit if they go off while you have your mouth closed.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  7. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Yep, and without a brake on a .50 you will need an ambulance.:D
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

With a well set up barrett a skilled 12 year old can shot one so recoil is not and issue. A lite weight 270 may have a sharper kick but the 50 has way more push. If you can justify buying a barrett you can aford the ammo.
  9. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Agreed. Kind of like I guy I work for owns a 120,000 sports car and just raises tee total hell because he has to put 93 octane in it.:D
  10. Grizz

Grizz Member

I think we all know a person or 2 like that!
  11. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Yea, she is sitting right next to me!
  12. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I used to have an Iver Johnson Single shot .50. Recoil was no worse than a 3 " 12 gauge.My 2 Cents. Those who complain about recoil have never fired one.
  13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

When you see a 12 year old girl at a match shooting a 50cal you know the recoil can be controlled. She probably can't move it far but can darn sure shoot small 1000 yard groups.

This tread is like some guy on another tread bitch'n about the cost of ammo for the nice high dollar 300 win mag hunting rifle he bought and wanting to know where to buy cheap ammo. Hunting rifle ammo cost any where from a 1.25 to 3 bucks a shot . Stupid owners.