.50 or .54 cal for moose?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by db4100, Oct 6, 2005.

1. db4100

db4100 New Member

I currently have an old .50 cal percussion CVA hawkin rifle (1 in 66 twist). I live in Anchorage, Alaska. Anchorage is starting to open up moose hunting within and around the city limits, but it is with either a bow or a muzzle loading rifle. My concern is if my current rifle is up to snuff in taking down a moose? Or do I need to upgrade to a .54 cal rifle with a 1 in 48 twist barrel, using sabots, conicals, etc.

Thanks,

Doug B.
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

If it were my choice it would be a 58 with 54 being minimum. Yep- I know a 50 would probably fill the bill, but one shot----I`ll take the 58 hands down.

LTS
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I took my first moose up in Tannanna with a 32-20. And a Colt's 1917. :D

If you are talking 50 yards or less, a 50 will do the job with the right shot placement and a 250gr or larger slug. Moose have been taken with 44Mag quite well and the 50 with the right load is certainly enough.

That said, I would take the largest bore I had in stock. I would be very careful to place my shot high in the neck with the biggest bullet I could cram down the barrel.

Pops
  4. db4100

db4100 New Member

5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I would have answered earlier, but I kept getting drool in my keyboard. :D

Pops
  6. richbug

richbug New Member

The one in 66 twist you have won't stabilize anything over round ball length. You might want to try one of the "square" balls available on the market, at least it will give you a little extra bullet weight without any more lenght.

I would go for a 58 if It was me.
  7. mrg

mrg New Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  8. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 New Member

the bigger the game the bigger the bullet
    blackhawkkid223