.50 T/C Blackpowder miss fire

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Far-North, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Far-North

Far-North New Member

I need assisatance removing a missfire, I have never had an issue with a miss fire in 5 years with this rifle, I can not seem to get the round removed,
    should I

1) remove the nipple and add extra powder

2) use a bore screw

3) remove the barrel

4) go with an Inline instead of Cap and Ball???
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I'd start with #1 and go to #2 after putting some hot soapy water down the barrel.

most misfires are either oil or dirty stuff in the nipple

Before firing I alwasy shoot off at least 2-3 caps through an empty barrel, and make sure I can see dirt moving as I'm pointing it to the ground.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

The field method is to remove the nipple, jiggle a little powder into the well, use the pick to move some powder into the flash channel, replace the nipple and try again. This almost always works.

A screw can work, but usually takes two people or a vise to get it dine. I have screwed into the ball, put the T-handle on the rod and laid on my back, pushing the rod with my feet and holding the rifle against my chest.

The easy way is to get one of the CO2 dischargers.

Pops
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Also, Far-North,,,WELCOME to the forum! :D

Pops
  5. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

ohh yeah I forgot about those new fangled co2 thingies.
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Go with the powder in the drum first, and "picking" it into the chamber, it will probably fire.

The only caveat is you should ram the ball back down firmly on the charge before each attempt, sometimes with just the cap going off, but especially if you ignite the powder in the drum that still does not set off the main charge, the ball MAY have moved a little...you do NOT want that charge going off with it not firmly packed behind the ball...any excessive air space COULD cause dangerous higher pressures....

I would guess that when you cleaned then oiled it last, some oil got into the drum, I've had that happen a few times on my son's CVA sidelock...it doesn't take MUCH....

Once I carried it in the woods with me for three days, before deciding to unload it through the muzzle the last day and THEN found out it wouldn't fire...good thing I didn't see a TAIL those three days!;):p

I had fired it at the range the week before, then cleaned it thoroughly, and ran an oiled patch down the bore to keep it from rusting..then ran a dry patch down it, AND snapped a cap through it before loading it....

Unfortunately that is ONE "contamination" that is not solved by snapping a cap before loading, which is still a smart thing to do, and we do that all the time, because whenever we got too aggressive with the prior oiling, it still did that....
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Thanks, Polish. I should have mentioned that, with emphasis. However, I'm fighting my annual head cold, so I just ran right past that one.

I have never used my CO2 thingy to empty a gun barrel. However, I do use it in the field before loading in the morning, after popping my two caps. I don't know if that does any good, but it makes me feel better.

Pops