The Firearms Forum banner

50 year old- automatically CR debate AGAIN!

2K views 0 replies 0 participants last post by  cointoss2 
G
#1 ·
polishshooter
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(6/17/01 1:56:30 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All 50 year old- automatically CR debate AGAIN!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, there's a new debate on this old subject again on Tuco's.

A guy directed them to Cruffler.com, where there is a letter posted from Dec 1997 from the ATF which pretty unambiguously (which is rare for the ATF) says "Any firearm MANUFACTURED 50 or more years ago IS automatically CR," regardless of whether it is on the list.

I tried to post the letter here, but am technologically illiterate.

So do we argue again, or what?

Bob In St Louis
(6/17/01 5:36:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: 50 year old- automatically CR debate AGAIN!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a copy of that letter also - it quite clearly states "any firearm 50 years old or older". Thats why I fall back from these debates because the BATF tends to contradict themselves. This letter was from the Dallas office if I remember correctly.
Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

jdchase
(6/22/01 9:16:12 am)
The letter you are reffering to comes directly from Assistant Director Malone who was and is cheif of the FEA division BATF.

tuckerd1
(6/22/01 10:33:18 am)
Welcome jd!! Glad to see you here!

kdubaz
(6/22/01 12:45:06 pm)
Howdy, JD -

Glad to see you. Be sure to stick around and join in with the bunch, when able.
Keep below the ridgeline!

LIKTOSHOOT
(6/22/01 1:09:06 pm)
WELCOME JD!!! LTS

AntiqueDr
(6/22/01 2:15:16 pm)
ATF Publication 5300.11, updated March 2001:

To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within ONE of the following categories (emphasis added):

1) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
2) blah blah
3) blah blah

Seems pretty clear to me.
Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
(6/22/01 4:50:34 pm)
Welcome aboard JD.........hope you'll be a regular here.

Tac401
Administrator
(6/22/01 7:45:31 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: 50 year old- automatically CR debate AGAIN!
Welcome Aboard jdchase!

polishshooter
(6/22/01 10:24:40 pm)
Hey, did everybody get their new CR list from the ATF? Got mine yesterday...some interesting additions and changes...and it's already outdated since the Star Bs are now CR, they missed this list...

Someday I just HAVE to get a French M1897 75mm Howitzer, now they are even off the NFA CR list, now considered an antique with NO restrictions for anybody!!!

The French/US ones post 1899 still are NFA/CR though...

polishshooter
(6/23/01 8:15:19 pm)
And one other technical question...

How do you reconcile the:

"...Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date..."

to the list, which states on the second line of listings:

"All Original military bolt action and semi-automatic rifles manufactured between 1899 and 1946."

The first would seem to take precedent, making anything original military, SA or BA, manufactured prior to, currently,1951, CR, wouldn't it????? I.e, in a couple of years, the M14s, CETMEs and FALs that are SA only SHOULD be, right????

Bob In St Louis
(6/23/01 10:42:41 pm)
Thats the way I read it - ANY firearm manufactured prior to June 23, 1951 is a Curio and Relic as of this date. Period.

polishshooter
(7/7/01 10:03:42 am)
Did you see the new SOG flyer?

I always wondered why those Polish Tokarevs weren't CR. On the back page though, they list some having dates of '50 and '51 as CR now. Of course, they are charging more for them, kinda makes me cringe, but at least they are.

My confusion is now over the military thing...

RUSSIAN model 44s are CR. SO are any copies, even my 1953 Polish, that is NOT 50+ years old.

Russian SKS are CR. SO is my Romanian copy, dated 1959.

Russian Makarovs are CR, SO is my EG, dated 1962. (OK, I'll give you that one, E. Germany is no longer around...) BUT...

Russian Tokarevs are CR, so WHY aren't POLISH Tokarevs any date CR????

Bob In St Louis
(7/7/01 1:42:22 pm)
Or the Bulgarian Makarovs? Some of the later date items got a variance by petition from BATF by the importers. That is why the Destroyer carbines, some of which were manuafactured as late as 1968, are C&R.

gun runner john
(7/7/01 4:21:41 pm)
It's my understanding that any 50 year old or older gun qualifies, OR any specifically listed gun in the C&R list, even if it's not 50 years old. It seems pretty clear that 50 year old guns are included, I don't know how even the BATF could argue that, since they've sent a letter AND updated the book!

BTW, there was one other pearl in the new C&R book. It seems that if you decide to give up your C&R license, you don't have to turn your records over to the BATF, since you are not a business, and that regulation was specifically put in place for businesses.

Alphamale
(7/7/01 5:19:59 pm)
Welcome to the board GR John
"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

jdchase
(7/9/01 10:52:03 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Wow
Thanks for the welcom all.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.