50AE reloading and some issues

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 312shooter, Nov 24, 2011.

1. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Trying to set up for some more economical food for the Desert Eagle, savings is going to be great if I can get this off the ground, this is my first straight wall magnum cartrige I am attempting to reload, so yet another learning hurtle.

This is the also the first time I have ever had such difficulty in achieving a proper crimp. I am using once fired and resized Hornady brass with Speer 300 TMJ's and seating with a brand new RCBS Seating and TC die. I have seated bullets without crimping, as a second step back the seater plug off and tighten down the die body and crimp. I cannot get a good, reliable crimp on these cartriges, at any adjustment point the bullets very easily setback, simply tap the cartrige on the bench from 1" above the bench surface and setback occurs. Add 1/4 turn on the die and setback stops but the bullets deform and freely turn with your fingertips, add another 1/4 turn and the brass begins to collapse. I am certain there is no sweetspot with the crimp, in addition I tried a Lee seating and TC die, same outcome. The Speer bullets remind me of Berrys plated which responded the same way with any bit too much crimp. Any magnum/50AE loaders out there that may lend any advice?:confused:
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

I pulled this back up because a good friend of mine showed me a print out of this post.
    Does anybody have any input on this problem.I don't have a cool what too tell him.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I resolved this issue with different bullets. The Speer plinker design is IMHO just poor! The plating was entirely too soft to sustain proper tension while preventing setback and not deforming the bullet. Chalk it up to bad luck, I went through a box of 50 and conclusion was either a bad lot or yet another reason why I dislike plated bullets.
  4. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

What brand ended up working for you.
  5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use the Hornady XTP 300gr. and some Speers 300gr. Havnt had any problems with either as yet. Prefer the Hornady's except for the price.

Attached Files:

7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Clinger that is just awesome, I hope someday my nerves will allow me to shoot a group that nice with my fifty!