50DTC (CA legal 50 BMG) range report

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by LDBennett, Oct 2, 2011.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

If you have been following our trial and tribulation with our BOHICA AR conversion unit over the last year or so then you may be interested in our latest range trip. I would note that the tribulations part has been OUR induced problems and have not been the BOHICA unit's fault.

My son-in-law and the co-owner shot about 20 rounds without mishap. Then it was my turn and AGAIN we had a failure while I was shooting. This time it was one one of my reloads and to make it more embarrassing I knew the particular cartridge could be a problem as I marked it with a question mark. The primer had been started a bit off center and the edge on one side was a bit screwed up. I have shot many smaller caliber cases like this without ever a problem but not this time.

The primer leaked heavily, blacked a large part of the case head, pressurized the bolt head and broke the extractor spring. This of course stopped the shooting with it. I have yet to asses the damage if any to the bolt head.

So when reloading 50 BMG sized case, discard or fix ANY primer that gets partially mashed while inserting it into the case. When you have over 210 grains of powder in those cases it doesn't act like the powder in other smaller cases!

We were shooting at targets of opportunity at we guess a thousand yards. Our next investment is going to be a range finder (MIL Surp optical type as laser range finders will not reach out that far unless they are very expensive). We are still fire forming the brass (from 50BMG to 50 DTC). We have the last 25 cases to do (have done 75 so far) but first I have to repair the BOHICA.

This exercise, even with its problems, has been a good adventure both of us have enjoyed. We learn with every range session. It takes one step backwards then two step forward. Good fun.

LDBennett
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

It sounds like your not only having fun but learning something at the same time. :D
  3. LDBennett

Our last learning experience was the scope slipping. In 20+ years of shooting I have never had a scope slip in the rings but this gun did it and ruined a new scope. Millet (Bushnell owned) replaced it for free.... nice people. That was the last learning experience. The gun now has FOUR rings glued onto the scope tube. The rings were trued with grinding compound and a tool I made on the lathe (I had to make the tool because the ring size is 35mm!).

The learning experience before that was that 50BMG primers when properly seated are a lot more than just below seated flush. And the hammer spring of the lower can not be a lightened one but must be full force as originally supplied in AR lowers.

I'm sure there are more "lesson" to be had in this gun. It sure has taught us what recoil is. It moves you back about a good foot and it has a muzzle brake that will clean the adjacent table along side the shooting bench. But there is no pain involved if you are wearing a Past shooting pad and you have a sorbene rubber pad on the gun stock. You have to double up the ear protection too. But I would NEVER EVER shoot this gun prone! It would kill the shoulder that was buttressed by the body laying on the ground.

But there is something satisfying in shooting targets at extended ranges and walking in on them with the aid of a spotter. The target we were shooting had to be at 1000 yds.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Bless you for having to live in California....I just couldn't.
  5. LDBennett

Well, we do have good weather. I'd move but family keeps me here and at my age (will be 70 in Dec) moving is not easy with the prospect of being alone in another state in my old age without a family to help.

We get by. Even though we have a 50 BMG ban we got around that as we did with the assault weapons ban (today the most popular guns in CA are legal variations on those very illegal assault weapons types).

I don't like 6 months of winter, hurricanes, tornados, floods, hot muggy summers, or low temperatures for the day that hover at around 100 degrees, and the other "things" some other states have to "offer". I can live with earthquakes but I don't live on top of the San Andreas fault either. I live outside the big cities so terrible traffic is not a problem for me. All thing considered it ain't too bad here in CA!

LDBennett
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I was contemplating buying a bohica.. But here in good ol TX i can have the .50 BMG.. I like it simple anyway, I hate processing brass.. :)
  7. LDBennett

JLA:

BOHICA can sell you a 50BMG BOHICA if you live in Texas but not California.

To be clear none of the problems I have encountered with this 50 cal exercise were the fault of the BOHICA and all were of my own making. Each shooting session gets the whole of our 50 cal experience closer to totally reliable. While 50 BMG (or 50 DTC) reloading should be the same as any rifle cartridge, it turns out there are details that are different and rules that work for regular cartridges are not right for 50 BMG. But we are almost there now.

I took the bolt apart and the hot gasses put a small surface pit in the bolt face and removed some of the coating (or plating) on the bolt face. But the bolt was not harmed that I can see. The extractor spring is toast but the extractor appears to be OK. I have a spare extractor, ejector, and their springs that I will install them just to be sure.

LDBennett
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I know LD, thats why im happy i dont live in cali. ;)

I might still buy me a Bohica, just aint sure yet if I wanna commit to it.
  9. LDBennett

Well.............. The latest as of today is BOHICA's web page is down, they don't answer their phone, and the owner posted that the BATF closed them down. But he also says it closed down all conversion unit makers too and that is very disputed by them. So something is going on and many say the owner is not to be trusted. I don't know ?????

If you think you want a BOHICA, new or used, you had better wait this out. I'm upset because that means no replacement parts. I don't need any today but some day I may (??). The gun is simple and I may be able to make whatever I need. I just hate to see BOHICA go under. Their 50 cal bolt gun was literally priced at half of the next most expensive unit. Not many people can afford to put out over $2000 for one. The BOHICA was the way in for us normal people. But we got ours. I just hope we can keep in running!

LDBennett
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep, thats the reason i was contemplating one. Armalite AR50 is the next cheapest at just under twice the price.
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Personally, If I am going to buy a 50 cal, I'd have to spend the money for a Barret. Yeah, it's up in the 2k range, but they got a lot of respect out of me when they quit selling to CA after they got banned and told all the agencies that had any in for work to come pick them up cause he wasnt working on them any more.
  12. LDBennett

Country101:

Remember we in CA can not have 50BMG. Barret and others offer options but they are not 50 BMG. Our BOHICA is 50DTC, made from 50BMG, and only varies in the angle of the shoulder and its placement on the case and is easily made from 50 BMG cases (as we do).

I suspect few 50 cal gun/upper suppliers are doing 50DTC any longer as the liability of forcing people to reloading to get ammo has to be huge. BOHICA stopped doing 50 DTC after the Los Angles range incident after advice from his lawyers. I suspect other manufacturers got the same advice.

Anyway, we got ours (last 50DTC BOHICA made, according to them) after signing a waiver. Too bad there may not be more unless someone steps up and takes over the design and patent if there is one. Some of us, even when bought in partners like we did, can not afford a starting price of well over $2000. With BOHICA gone there will be fewer 50Cal shooters in the future than if this gun, priced well under $2000, were still around.

LDBennett
  13. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Oh, I understand, LD. I'm just saying that for my money, I would buy a Barret since I dont live in CA. Granted, I'll never have one because of the price and the wife, but I can dream....