54-1 in 7.62x25 and .38 Super

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by old_ironsights, Jun 10, 2008.

1. old_ironsights

old_ironsights New Member

I've a 54-1 for which I purchased a .38 Super barrel. Can't tell a whole hellva lotta difference, and I've found I prefer the 762x25 for smaller varments around the place.

Any of you have the same experiences?
  2. Santa

Santa New Member

OI. No experience with the .38 super, but some with the 7.62 X 25. I had an odd experience with 7.62 X 25. Shot an approximately 1 and 1/2 inch diameter cottonmouth with a CZ-52 once. Thought I'd missed it. Shot again. Still no reaction from the snake. Shot a third time and saw a roughly .30 cal. patch of pink open up on the snake. It then slithered a bit too close to a piece of concrete for me to risk another shot before slipping away and back into the water. Probably died later on. About a week after that I encountered a copperhead of about the same size in that area. Shot it once with a .40 S&W 185 gr JHP. That left only only a ribbon of skin holding the snake together. I then took the time to hit it in the head. Not a fan of suffering -- not even for venomous snakes. Anyway -- I guess I'd reccomend the .38 Super with JHPs over the 7.62 if all you've got for it is JHP.