.54 Buffalo Bullet Ball-ets in a 1-66" Jon. Brning MTn rifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by bearmn56, Oct 30, 2006.

1. bearmn56

bearmn56 New Member

I just bought a Jonathan Browning Mountain rifle, .54 cal. It has a 1-66" twist that I know is correct for ROUND patched balls. However, I saw some Buffalo Bullet .54 cal Ball-ets that were 310 grains. These are short and fat. Just about the same length as a round ball but with straight sides.
    Has anyone used these in a 1-66" twist? Were they accurate (hunting accuracy as in 2" or so at 50 yards)? If so, what load did you use? Does anyone have any other conical ball suggestions that might stabilize in the 1-66" twist.
    Also, I know that the ORIGINAL rifles in the Civil War that shot .58 minie balls had a 1-72" twist. There are some .54 minie balls out there..... Would these work in the Mountain Rifle?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Bill Smith
    Montana Territory
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Bearm, welcome.

I swear by the Buffalo Ballets in my son's .50 CVA....even though I MAINLY bought them for him when we built it, he was only 12 at the time, and I wanted a Minie type ball, that was lighter than the typical 300-340 grain 50 conicals...just for a little less recoil...

And they gave EXCEPTIONAL accuracy, and he killed his first deer cleanly, quartering away and moving at about 40 yds, a 145# spike. The deer turned jumped a fence, ran about 20 yds further and died, both lungs, full penetration, with exit, even though it went through ribs and a shoulder...and from a bench he was getting substantially less than 2" at 50, which is what I had him sight for, and to tell you truth, is as far as I've shot it at targets too....although I would take a 100 yd shot with it with confidence with the same hold if I had one to take....

It's all we've ever shot, and all I shoot through it now when it's raining too much for my flintlock...;)

The .50 effectively is the bearing surfaces of two balls back to back with the bottom one hollow...

I think you will like them...

And I THINK they are intended for slower twists usually used for roundballs, as well as faster twists for conicals....just not for the REALLY fast twists intended for sabots....

I can't remember what the twist is in the CVA though, I'll have to check again....
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Bearm