597 magnum magazines

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by rangerruck, Oct 22, 2005.

1. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

ive been thnking of getting a 597 mag by remington. any one got any news on it? do they have all the same problems of the 597 lr? have they been fixed yet? can we tweek the problems if we get one, just like the same fixes for the 22lr/ thanks in advance.
  2. donvieira

donvieira New Member

I have a 2 year old 597 magnum. I had feeding trouble due to the weak mag springs. I took apart my mags and stretched the springs. Wow, what a difference. I keep the weapon very clean and use only winchester fmj ammo and it is good to go. It is also very accurate and distance is excellent over a 22lr. I am now very pleased. Make remington provide the 4pd springs with the magazine. We also placed the weaver rail and a red dot site. AWESOME!! Good luck, don
  3. MemphisJim1

MemphisJim1 New Member

I have a 597 .22WMR (blued heavy barrel, Boyd's Evolution stock added to replace the original laminated one, scoped). I also bought three additional magazines for it. Initially I was having some problems trying to shoot with full magazines (8 rounds for the magnums). I saw a tip in another forum recommending loading to 6 rounds max. As I shoot only targets at the range in 3-round volleys, I adopted that as SOP and it works for me. However, seeing the tip here on manipulating the spring sets me on path to another "fix-it" job. I also have 597s in .22LR and .17HMR. All shoot flawlessly, hold tighter groups than I can consistently maintain and provide countless hours of trouble-free fun. I recommend them highly.
  4. howard67

howard67 New Member

I bought a 597 .17 2 years ago. For the longest time I thought it was a 4 shot unit. 1 chambered and 3 in the mag. Imagine my surprise when I found out the mag was an 8 shot! I challenge anyone to load and shoot, without a jam, a .17 mag loaded with 8 rounds. I believe the material used in the magazine is incorrect for use with brass, it galds and sticks to the shell casing at the rim. I bet a steel body mag would work just fine....space age metals:mad:. Sometimes the old ways are the best:p. Remington gracefully sent me a new mag which, made of the same alloy, refuses to load or feed. So, now I have my 8 shots, (9 actually) I carry 2 magazines with 4 cartridges loaded in each. There is more than one way...... The little gun really pops and for farm varmints it's a joy to shoot.
    If y'all hear of a second new mag ( I believe the first was....plastic?) on the horizon please let me know.
    Really good group here. It's a pleasure to read on a windy, rainy day in Texas.

Howard