597 mag's

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by REM597, Mar 12, 2011.

1. REM597

REM597 New Member

Were would be the best place to order mags for this thing the one that came with the gun sc--s, bad only hold's 9 and miss fires all the time! You can feel the mag real loose the frist 2,3 and then the last 8 and 9 real tight
  2. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

I don't have any good news. I had a 597 and I could never get the darn thing right. I did find some steel framed mags from Gander Mountain, but they didn't help the gun with the hanging up problem. I ended up with 6 different mags, 2 trips to the gun smith, and about 10 different types of ammo. Nothing totally fixed the hanging up problem. I solved the problem by buying a ruger 10/22.
  3. REM597

REM597 New Member

Thanks but I have had 10/22's and a tricked out T22 nice but this thing here out shot all of them right out of the box,still will just got to get it to work out and I think get 2, or 3 more mags and one will work.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

5. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

When I used CCI mini mags and other hotter ammo the gun cycled better. I don't know if we had the same problems, but I thought I would suggest it. Maybe I just got a lemon.
  6. REM597

REM597 New Member

You are spot on buddy just a tad to low in velocity
  7. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

Oh cool, So the better rounds did the trick. Or was it something in the link that jlloyd73 provided?
  8. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

I sell guns at bass pro in Ma and I have heard people complain about that gun and its magazine constantly. People ask me about it,I show them the Savage 64f magazine that is made out of steel and the CHEAP 597 mag, and they always go for the 64f and or the Marlin, and they always come back and thank me ! Needless to say I am not a fan of the 597!
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Rem597, agree with you about accuracy, I drive nails with mine! Haven't had the mag problem. And mrt, why do they thank you if they never tried the 597? I'm sure they have problems because there are many out there and I agree the mag body sucks. But, I bought 5 of them when they first came out for me and my sons and none of us experienced this problem. Good luck Rem597
  10. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I bought 3 more mags for mine as well. My 597 shoots well and I havent had any issues with it.
  11. shawnc

shawnc New Member

I've had my 597 for a couple of years now and the only problem that i've with the mags are when i first got it i could only get 8 or 9 rounds into the mag after break in though it now take all 10 with ease and as far as the hang ups mine will do the same thing if i dont take them appart and clean/ oil them every 2500 rounds or so (yes i shoot it alot) the only other problem i have had was a broken extractor due to a round fireing prematurely and breaking it which was a simple fix and yes they do drive nails i've shot so accurate firearms over the years but this one takes the cake.
  12. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    I got a 597 about a year after they came on the market. I had a problem with the original magazine...would only feed 7 rounds before it hung up. Bought a Remington replacement and it would only feed five rounds before hanging up. I wrote Remington a not so nice letter concerning their magazines, and they sent me two to replace the two "bad" ones. These didn't do any better. More feedback to Remington, to no avail. So, when they came out with metal magazines, I bought two of them. They worked.

I managed to tear the plastic ones apart, and found small burrs of plastic that interfered with the follower, smoothed those out and now they work as intended.

As for accuracy, mine is a tack driver and loves the Remington Golden Bullet 22LR ammo. I "tweaked" it a bit, did away with the iron sights (I'm old, and need a scope), dropped it in a pepper laminate stock from Boyds, glass bedded it, did some cosmetic upgrading to the finish, and when I pull it out at the range, people want to look at it, and shoot it.

John