6.5 Creedmore or 260

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gene Seward, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

My next rifle will be a DPMS in 260 or 6.5 Creedmore. I have owned a 260 Remington 700 that was very accurate, and it appears to be really catching on at Camp Perry. I am having a hard time finding info for reloads for the 6.5 Creedmore, which seems to have a truck load of down range punch and I hear accuracy. Does anyone have any info that would help. I can find info on the 260, but not the Creedmore. It also appears that I will more than likely have to reload about all that I shoot for the Creedmore. As always thanks.
  2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Gene, I'm not very familiar with the 6.5 Creedmore but the 6.5-08 (.260 Remington) has been around the highpower circuit for across the course shooting for at least a couple of decades. It's also been very popular at the 1,000 yard line even if the 6.5-284 overshadows it. The 6.5-08 is very hard to beat as a general medium to long range accuracy round, especially in an auto-loader. It would be my preference of the two based on the availability of brass and dies.

I've been seriously looking at the DPMS LR-308 with an A-4 style upper receiver. The only real reason that I'm considering the .308 over the 6.5-08 is that I'm already tooled up for reloading. Other than that, I think either is a great choice.
  3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Thanks for the heads up. My buddy shoots 308 and I reload for him. We try not to buy two of anything unless like the 308 he has a bolt gun and a Springfield. I am leaning toward the 260 for the reasons listed before. Plus the 260 is a good round. Again, thanks.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the 6.5 creedmoor was yet another brainchild of the hornady corporation (new for 2007), expressly designed for target shooting (hence the name)... I have yet to see a box of cartridges in the shop, or a rifle chambered for it for that matter. My guess is that it is still a little new to be considered an equivalent comparison to the venerable old 6.5-08. As i understand it the 6.5 creedmoor was designed to utilze the heaviest bullets possible for the bore size, while still meeting magazine length requirements, while i really dont think it was intended for the AR platform, it seems, as the design has proved in the past, that the AR will allow a chambering of just about any practical cartridge application with the proper modifications and or accessories. I personally have high hopes for the cartridge, and based on what little i have read about the cartridge, i believe it has the potential to become a favorite.

I stand corrected! it seems upon further research, and a quick phone call to a good friend that the 6.5 creedmoor was intended for any .308 win. length rifle action. please check out this link below.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=458
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008