6.5 x .250 savage load data

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mfa104, Mar 12, 2010.

1. mfa104

mfa104 New Member

looking for load data for 6.5mm x .250-3000 (.250 savage).
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Are you sure about this caliber? If you have a 6.5mm bore it is not a 250 Savage. Bore diameter of the 250 Savage is .257, and there is no metric equivalent that I know of. So unless you are loading a wildcat (non commercially avalable caliber) You need to check your facts. And your rifle.

Regards, Kirk
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Now that's an oddball wildcat! Never heard of necking the .250 up to .264 before...but like most wildcat combos if it can be done someone probably has.

Best bet would be to find someone else that's put that combo together. Otherwise you're pretty much on your own. the 250 case has quite a bit less volume than anything common that is fairly close (.257, .260Rem, 6.5x55, etc).
    The 6.5x52 Carcano would probably be your closest equivalent that you might find data for...most data for that is fairly mild. I don't have any cases handy to do a volume comparison though. that will be a good step to determine a starting point.

What action is the rifle built on? This will also determine how far you can go velocity/pressure-wise.
  4. mfa104

mfa104 New Member

It's a wildcat. It's a Jap 6.5 bring back that was done in western Neb. in the 50's. It is a .250 savage case with a 6.5 bullet. Hornaday in Grand Island made the custom dies for it. It's a pretty little piece, mannlicher stock, nice wood. I had 4 boxes of shells and the dies for it and now need to start reloading. I traded a market hog for it back in the early 80's and it has sat until now.
    That's the whole story!
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Ahh... I wasn't even thinking Arisaka this morning. Was pre-occupied with it probably being a euro surplus rig (M-S, Carcano, etc)

The rechamber job was probably done to find a source of brass since 6.5x50 is still a difficult one to find brass for.
    I would suspect that even with the minor case volume differences you could use 6.5x50 data. The parent .250 is a bit shorter but also slightly fatter than the Jap case. I would think internal volume would be within a couple grains or so of each other.

Have you compared your shells to the dimension charts in a reloading manual? Is the body of the case about 1.637" (to the base of the neck) like the .250 or is it closer to 1.709" like the 6.5x50? That small bit of length will make the difference in internal volume. If it's the longer dimension, I think 6.5x50 starting loads would be a safe starting point...but if it's shorter like the .250 even the starter loads could give you high pressures. Another 10% reduction in starting loads would probably be prudent...I can't guarantee that it would be safe though.
    I would also suggest sticking with a slower powder for that particular case volume since you'll probably run out of case volume before you hit a max load. I should emphasize the probably...but that's usually a general rule.

Loading for a wildcat can be a tricky process if there is no similar cartridge to cross-reference data to, so always exercise caution. A chronograph and a careful eye for pressure are must-haves.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Wow. I gotta go back and check the other three forums this question is posted on and see what they say. :D I'm just being a smart a**.
  7. mfa104

mfa104 New Member

firm believer in seeking multiple data points. Even been known to ask for directions when lost. Ans that's me being a S A.
  8. rnott

rnott New Member

this wildcat was producted back in the 1980's by jim carmichael of outdoor life magazine. all he did was open the the case up to .264 with no change to the neck angle. this is a shorter case than the 6.5 japanese arasake but accept for the body being blown out and the shoulder angle changed to 30 deg it matches the 6.5 creedmoor that hornady brought out a couple years ago. I have some load data that was used in my rifle for the 107 through 130 grain nosler bullets if wanted.
  9. dhom

dhom New Member

I believe there is some similar data in some of the older Hornady books. I have a 6.5X220 Swift and have found the data for a 6.5X 54 Mannlicher to be fairly similar, but always error on the safe side and start light and watch for pressure.