6.5 X 55 with 100 grain Nosler BT

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

velvetnsteel
    (2/23/02 5:40:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 6.5 X 55 with 100 grain Nosler BT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK you small bore guys. I want to load some 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and I want them to run pretty hot. I believe I want to try IMR 4064 powder, but I have IMR 4320, 4350, 4831, and RE-19 in my cabinet. The reasoning behind the 4064 is the need to start the light bullet and get it up to speed early down the bore. The slower powders may not burn out before the bullet exits. I can't find any published data on this combo, but I believe about 44 grains of IMR 4064 will be about max. Anybody done this, been here? Thanks.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/23/02 7:15:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 6.5 X 55 with 100 grain Nosler BT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    According to the Hornady 5th Edition, 42.3 grains of 4064 is maximum loading, at 3100 fps. I find their loads to be a bit on the conservative side, but don't think I'd crowd that load too much. Either IMR or Hodgdon 4831 have been my personal pet for the various 6.5mm's I load for, with the Alliant RL-22 running right in there with them. The slower powders seem to work much better in the 6.5x55 case. Depending on barrel length and using a mag primer, most, if not all, the powder should be comsumed in a 24" - 26" bbl as the bullet departs the muzzle.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/24/02 10:20:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 6.5 X 55 with 100 grain Nosler BT
    Perhaps just load five rounds at a time until you either find your load or get pressure signs. Swedes can be loaded up quite a bit before you get pressure signs.
    Double check your equipment also...I had a scale that was off about 2 1/2 grains...could have been ugly. Sent it back to the Manufacturer they sent a new one. Now I use two scales and cross check. just my $.02 swede
    Wyoming Swede

velvetnsteel
    (2/24/02 2:56:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 6.5 load
    Thanks for the input. I had planned to start at about 40 grains and work up. 41.5 of 4064 does seem a bit light. I have a generic book on the 6.5 Swede that does list 44 grains max with an 85/100 grain bullet. I have found with all my loading that the Nosler bullets max out about .5 to 1 grain UNDER the other brands.

Good tip on the scales. It is a good idea to get a set of weights and check them periodically. Then you have to read them properly also. Kinda like the time I was developing a load for a 9MM and moved the wrong adjustment. Went up 2 grains instead of .2 grains. Discovered it when the case would not hold all the powder; if it was .38 Special and the case would have held the load, I would have had a problem!!

velvetnsteel
    (2/26/02 11:15:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 6.5 load
    Just an update - I decided to try the slow powders. Ran some loads thru today just to check pressure signs and went up to 50 grains of IMR 4831 with no problems. This is a compressed load, but had no bullet seating problems. I will load some IMR 4350 next for testing and then shoot some groups. I believe the 50 grains of 4831 have the 100 grain Nosler moving pretty good.

velvetnsteel
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/16/02 6:54:11 pm)
    Loaded some more test loads with IMR-4350 powder. Went up to and including 48 grains with no problems. I believe I will load some of these for shooting groups as the test firings grouped better than anything else. This is the same powder and load as I was using behind the 100 grain Sierra TNT also. More later.
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/16/02 11:38:27 pm)
    The Nosler Reloading Guide, 4th Ed. lists the 6.5x55 using 100 gr BT's as doing 3127 fps with 48.0 gr of IMR 4350 and 3117 fps with 51.0 gr of Hodgdon H483l, all with Rem 9 1/2 primers.

Seems your loads are right in the ballpark with their loadings, which was obtained with a 23" barrel.

If your particular rifle seems to like the IMR 4350, that's the powder to go with! Although one of the older slow burning powders, I've always been partial to it for consistent velocities and good bullet grouping with those cartridges having lots of case capacity.

velvetnsteel
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/17/02 2:24:24 pm)
    Thanx for the data kdub. This particular rifle likes IMR-4350 in just about everything, but I am getting real good results with RL-19 pushing Nosler's 120 grain BT. That is the whitetail load both my wife and I use. It is deadly!!
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/02 11:30:57 pm)
    Yup - haven't found any of the new Alliant powders that don't work equally as well as those listed with it on the burn-rate charts. Made in Sweden by Bofors, you know - the Norma people.