1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

6.5x284 Conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

velvetnsteel
    (2/9/02 7:15:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 6.5 X .284 wildcat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am considering a 6.5 X .284 built on the Swedish mauser. Give me some thoughts.........pros & cons. Also some info on gunsmiths who do this one good. If you have one, please tell me about it. Thanks.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/02 7:35:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 6.5 X .284 wildcat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is only one real drawback to the cartridge. It is not known for playing well with the heavier/longer bullets in the 6.5 caliber. 100gr/120gr bullets do right well.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/10/02 12:02:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 6.5 X .284 wildcat
    I guess my first question is what will you be doing with the rifle-hunting(what) or competition? If its hunting why not just stay with the 6.5x55. Competition-well the Swedes have been doing quite well with this cartridge for over a hundred years. If you must have a wildcat(I always do!) think about the 6.5x55 BJ Ackley Improved. If you don't get carried away in trying to run pressure(ie velocity) to high the Swede 96 or 38 action will handle everything quite well. The 142 Sierra MatchKing only requires that muzzle velocity of arount 2500FPS will keep it stable to a 1000yds. The Gallaghler girls shoot the 6.5/308 in their long range competition and we know those ladies can really shoot. IMHO, you have picked the right caliber(6.5), but consider the cartridge. Good 6.x55 brass is available from Lapua at a reasonable cost,Winchester,Federal and,I believe, Remington all make this brass available. There are tons of good hunting and competition bullets available now for the 6.5 bore. For both general hunting and competition my vote goes to the old reliable 6.5 x 55 Swede. For specialized purposes,the 6.5/308(260Rem) in Rem 700 actions gets the nod. Whatever you choose, have fun and go for it. OJIH>

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/10/02 12:06:33 pm)
    Why? The Swede's a really nice round just as it is.

velvetnsteel
    (2/11/02 7:25:52 am)
    Thanks for all the feedback. I believe you are convincing me to just stick with the 6.5 X 55 as is. Its just that every once in awhile I feel like I have to do something different. I love the 6.5 X 55 and have a handful of them now. Has anyone been successful handloading them a bit hotter than the manuals? I know the Norma factory loads are faster than most anything made in the US.

The rifle is used mostly for groundhogs ( 100 grain bullet ) and whitetail deer ( 120 grain ). Thanks again!!

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/11/02 7:32:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 6.5 X .284 wildcat
    There's nothing wrong with doing something different just for different's sake. If you want a bit more juice out of the 6.5x55 and still want to stick with the Swede action, consider the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved. Add 100 or so fps, and still be able to use standard ammo in a pinch.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

velvetnsteel
    (2/11/02 7:37:16 am)
    Thanks Dr. Is the Ackley a simple rechamber, and fireform ammo process? I understand it is a shoulder angle change to make it more efficient....correct?

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/11/02 12:06:49 pm)
    Good morning fellow 6.5x55 aficianado! First its not simply a rechamber, the barrel must be set back usually one thread and then rechambered .004 short. When you chamber a loaded round for fire-forming you should feel a slight crush fit. The Ackley IMP. is noted for its 40 Degree shoulder and the body taper is changed to a .0015 per inch. If my memory serves me correctly, Bob Jourdan gave this an approx 8% increase in case capacity(I will check on my memory a little later in the day.) Reamers for the 6.5x55 BJ Ackley are available for purchase or rental and the dies are available from RCBS. This Ackley IMP cartridge is one of the best along with the 250 Savage IMP,257 Roberts IMP and the 7mm Mauser IMP. In My Humble Opinion, everyone should own at least one Ackley Improved--but I am very opinionated. Best regards, Ol' John in Hondo.

velvetnsteel
    (2/11/02 9:34:01 pm)
    Thanks.........you have all given me a lot to think about. Think is all for right now until I find a job. Some of you sound very familiar with this 6.5 Ackley Improved. If I can get some names/numbers for the gunsmiths who do this job, I can start to get my ducks lined up.

HondoJohn6508
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/02 4:32:01 pm)
    When you are ready--drop me a line--my -e- is in the personals. I would be happy to give you some price quotes on doing the job. Ol' John in Hondo(custom riflesmith).