6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer Model 1903

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dmtrask, Jan 12, 2011.

1. dmtrask

dmtrask New Member

I am attempting to find the value of my father's Mannlicher. It is chambered for 6.5x54 ammo. Serial number is 11372. There is a number on the bottom of the stock, 27817. The gun is in beautiful condition. Close to 100% bluing. There are some small spots on the stock where the finish is slightly marred. Checking is in excellent condition. The bore is clean and shines. The action is very smooth. I also found a set of sights (they may be the originals). The gun was last fired in the 60's. I am not planning to sell the gun; just get the value so I can let my brothers know what it is worth.

Attached Files:

2. Gamemaster 760

Gamemaster 760 New Member

There was an Army / Navy surplus store in town that sold those rifles in the 50's and early 60's for as little as $15.00

$15 then would be like $100 today.

Unless you are a collector and have more money then brains - that is about all that it is worth.
    I'm surprised to see that the butter knife bolt was not heated and bent.
    Your rifle appears to be in original condition.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/m-s_carbine.htm

If you read Chuck Hawks article - it says that the early models had issues and that the later models commanded a higher price and had a intrinsic value to those that collected them.
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I would imagine those were Greek Military surplus. Commercial M-S's were never cheap. I can't see the markings on the OP's well enough to determine if it is a sporterized military or a commercial.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

There was this piece's twin brother in the shop where I work part-time, about 1 1/2 years ago - it SOLD for just under $600. It was a commercial model.
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

6.5 X 54 caliber is commercial only and never was produced for the military. $1000 is a good starting price, but these can bring as much as $2000.
  6. dmtrask

dmtrask New Member

Hey Everybody, thanks for all the great information on the Mannlicher. I am attaching some additional photos of the gun. First is a blow-up of the makers marks on the left side forward the chamber. The second shows the numbers on the stock. The third is a clearer picture of the dual triggers. By the way, what a great mechanism! I set the rear trigger and it takes only a few ounces of pull on the forward trigger to fire the weapon. I can see how this makes for a clean, steady shot. Looking forward to taking it to the range to give it a try.

Attached Files:

7. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Having a preference for older guns, this is a really nice rifle. I wouldn't let go of it were it mine. Does it have a rotary magazine? I understand that the MS may have been the inspiration to AW Savage for his Model 1899 rotary magazine.
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

THe 6.5 x 54 Mauser was commercial only. The 6.5 x 54 M-S was the original Greek cartridge and it pretty much displaced the Mauser version in commercial production. There are slight differences in case dimensions between the two. However, the rifle in question is a Commercial M-S.

The marks shown are Austrian and the second one is for the Vienna proof house

Nice classic rifle!!
  9. dmtrask

dmtrask New Member

Thanks for the quick reply to my question on the makers marks! I suspected it was a commercial version. The gun was owned by my grandfather. He was born in 1866 and worked for the Pinkerton Detective Agency in the late 1880s. As you can imagine, he appreciated a good weapon. In addition to the Mannlicher, he passed down a Remington Model 51 .380, serial number 13597 which indicates it was made in 1918 or 19, I believe. I also have his Winchester Model 62 .22, serial number 19697. Serial number look up on it indicates it was made in 1935. I also have his Remington Target Master model 41 .22 which was manufactured between 1936 and 39. The Target Master is amazingly accurate. I learned how to shoot with it when I was a kid, and one time watched my Dad sit on our porch and shoot gophers out in the yard when they poked their heads up to take a look around.

Again, thanks to all for the great information. I really appreciate it.
  10. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Jeez.... I wish my grandfather had such good taste in firearms and that my father had enough sense to pass them on to me...;):D:D
  11. dmtrask

dmtrask New Member

Steve99f

The gun does have the rotary clip. I believe it holds five rounds but haven't loaded it up to confirm this.
  12. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Thanks! You said your grandfather left all those great guns to you? You must be a really old dude. I say that with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Great-grandfather I believe. Anyway, whatever his status, he did right by his descendants. Great rifle.
  13. dmtrask

dmtrask New Member

I am 58 and he was my grandfather. Married my Grandmother in 1921. He was 56. She was 21. My dad was born in 1925 when Grandpa was 60. Kind of throws people when I tell them my grandfather was born one year after the end of the Civil War! He was a character.
  14. DCWilson

DCWilson New Member

I'm coming late to this thread, but would like to express an opinion. I think that gun is easily a $1500-1800 item, and perhaps more to the right buyer. I see higher asking prices on M-S models (1905, 1908) tin other chamberings hat are less in demand as collectibles and of equal quality to the one pictured above.

Last year I paid W-A-A-A-Y more than that for an almost virgin M1903 with its original Kahles scope and factory-installed mounts that are numbered to the gun. I know I paid too much, but I decided going into the auction that I just wanted it and (barely within the bounds of sanity) would pay what I had to. I did reach my comfort level after several bidding rounds and decided that was it. One more bid from the competitor would have taken it, but it never came. So I got the gun at my very limit.

Excuse me for jacking the OP's thread to post my own pic, but I am really fond of this package.

[​IMG]
  15. Jboy

Jboy Member

Mr. Wilson,

Shall we say that you are lucky I did not see the auction where you bought the 1903? You might have outbid me but it probably would have increased your cost. The one being asked about would seem to have an auction value of about the 1500 to 1800 you mentioned. If there is someone wanting one desperately it might go for more. I also paid considerably more for a excellent example recently and have absolutely no regrets.

Beautiful rifles.