6.5x55

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by guns4life, May 29, 2010.

1. guns4life

guns4life New Member

Looking for aa 6.5x55 in a bolt action have one in a kimber model 96 mauser action but would like someting a litttle more toward the accuracy end considering a tikka but would not rule out a winchester model 70 or a remington 700 the only thing is the latter 2 are very scarce any info on the rifles would be appreciated checked gb.com but nothing to my liking anybody got one or know where i can find one at a reasonable price
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I say go with the original and get a Swedish '96 mauser. Better would be an m/41 or m/41B sniper made by carl gustaf. or maybe an 1896 long rifle. Any would be a fine choice and probably more accurate than most current production guns...
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The Tikka T3 is a nice rifle, but I gotta lean the same direction as LD...check out the CZ550. Either the American or the Full-Stock (mannlicher-style) is a very beautiful rifle that can shoot good to boot!
    I've got a 550American in 6.5x55 and it's quickly pushing my old M38 onto the back burner as my favorite deer rifle.

The CZ is about as close as you can get to the original '98 Mauser action (with a few improvements) while the Tikka T3 is a modern 60° bolt-lift triple lug action. Neither one is a bad choice...all depends on what you like.

The Remington 700 in 6.5x55 was a one-year-only issue of the 700 Classic (1994 if I remember right). As you stated, they're hard to find. But if you do happen to find one at a good price...jump all over it. :)
    Ruger also made the 77MkII in 6.5x55 for a few years. They've dropped it in favor of the 6.5 Creedmoor (another .308-based 6.5mm wildcat, just like the .260 Remington).

While I love the old Gustafs and Huskys, the advantage of a modern action chambered in the 6.5x55 is you can push the cartridge to it's full potential without worrying about stressing a 100 year old action.
    Many European ammo companies offer hotter loads than what we typically see over here in the states...and you can duplicate those loads in a modern rifle safely while they would gradually beat an old '96 Mauser to pieces.
    140gr at 2650-2700fps....while US factory loads will only push that same 140gr to around 2550fps. (Velocities are out of my 24" CZ550. Norma 140gr vs Winchester 140gr)
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Actually the 6.5 creedmoor is a necked down .30TC to be exact;):p (runs and hides)
  7. guns4life

guns4life New Member

have looked at the 6.5 creedmore but no experience with this cartridge some one please educate me as to the differences in it and the 6.5x55 I already have a kimber sporterized carl gustaf but would like a more modern rifle thanks in advance
  8. Bindernut

Argh...the forum monster wouldn't let me post a reply this morning. Anyhoo, here it is now. :)

Yeah... .30T/C, .308Win...6.5Creedmoor, .260Remington. there are so many new cartridges out these days that pretty much duplicate each other that I tend to lump em all together. I haven't quite figured out the .30 T/C or it's siblings since the .308 will already chamber nicely in a short action. Is there a new ultra-short action length that some of these new "stubbies" are gonna be paired to? :D

The 6.5Creedmoor is a fairly newcomer that was developed specifically as a target cartridge. It's got a short case to cycle through a short action rifle even when loaded with a nice long high-sectional-density match bullet,fairly straight case walls and a steep 30° shoulder angle.
    Here's a really good article on it that covers it pretty well.
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1527

Personally, I love the .264 bore diameter bullets regardless of the case that they're stuffed into....my opinion is that it's about the perfect bore size for any North American game except the really big critters. In either 120gr or 140gr, the sectional density numbers are very high...meaning that given their diameter they'll carry their energy out farther than a comparable weight in a larger bore diameter.

As for why choose the 6.5Creedmoor, or the .260Remington (a .308-length 6.5mm cartridge), or the good old 6.5x55? That's all up to personal choice. I think all three are about equal performance-wise on game or bulleyes.

The advantage of either the .260 or the Creedmoor is that they will chamber in a short action rifle while the Swede is stuck with a long-action due to the overall cartridge length. Performance is pretty much identical between all three...give or take a few fps.

Since you've already got a Kimber Gustaf in 6.5x55 I would say stick with that cartridge. It'll eliminate the need for another set of reloading dies...or ammo if you're not a reloader.

All depends on what you find that tickles your fancy...
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I justify the chaos by telling myself that the cartridge makers just wanna be a little different. They mighta only changed the specs a few thousanths here and added a few fps there but dammit it a brand new cartridge to ooooh and aaaaah over:D

Me personally, Ill take a good ol fashioned long action .30-06. I love 100 year old technology and the deer aint ginna be able to tell the difference what .30 cal bullet hits him in the ribs...;)
  10. Bindernut

I agree with ya JLA...every now and then those new rounds show up just as a fad. Pretty much all of em duplicate one of the "old" recipes. Time will tell how they all fare.

As for the 100 year old technology...that's why I keep going back to my old Swedes loaded with a 140gr. My shoulder doesn't notice when I pull the trigger and the deer don't know what hit em when that bullet connects either. :)
    And IIRC, the 6.5x55 pre-dates the .30-06 by a couple years too. ;)
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

all these younguns'll figure out the ol'timers had it right all along;)
  12. 199er

199er New Member

I have a stainless steel & walnut Ruger 1A Light Sporter in 6.5x55 that I bought about 3 years ago when Ruger did a special run of 250 for Lipsey's. I shoot a 140 grain interlock under 46.0 grains of IMR 4841, the recoil is mild, and I've been pleased with this caliber's performance on deer.

You can't go wrong with choosing any one of the rifles you're considering, it's just a matter of which one peaks your interest more or, if your able to handle them, which one fits you/feels the best to you.