1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

6.8spc -compressing powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by .308 shooter, Oct 6, 2012.

1. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

I'm just now working up loads for my 6.8spc.-- 1/10.5 twist 16".
    This will be used strictly for hunting whitetail, but need decent loads for accuracy in the field.
    120gr Hornady SST. They didn't list anything for this round so I called and got the information.

Recommended 8208XBR... Min=24.1@2000fps. Max=28.3@2400fps (they were using a 1/10twist)

I'm starting at 26gr and working up to 27.5gr...

PROBLEM: At 26.5 grains, I can hear the powder "crunch" compress when seating the bullet.

What problems will this cause? I don't want to go any higher without knowing the consequences. I thought I read here one time the compressing powder is not a good idea.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Edited.. The "crunch"/ compression is at the end of stroke while seating the bullet- maybe at the 75%-80% mark. The Hornady manual states 6.8 shouldn't use more than a 110-115 grin bullet, but the Hornady says its at the edge but is fine as far as using the 120gr SST.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

If you are using load data from a modern manual (and you would have to be with the 6.8) a compressed charge will be just fine. Some of my loads quote 105% load density and you will certainly get some serious crunching sounds when seating the bullet. Sometimes you even have to be careful about seating too quickly as you can damage the case.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Compressing powder is very common and preferred by many. Compressing powder is fine as long as there is data to support the charge weight, which you have. Compress away.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I prefer compressed powder charges when i can get em.
  5. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks everyone.... As is usual, my impatience got the best of me and I went head and shot prior to the replies to the post. They shot decent and I narrowed in on a load.
    I'm my own worse enemy.... I'm working up a hunting load, not a bench rest load and I'm shooting 1.25" at 100 yds...,good enough for deer hunting right? Right, but not good enough for me..... It's like a freakin' disease!!!!!!!!!
  6. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I read an article some time back in American Rifleman that said they had trouble obtaining top drawer accuracy from the 6.8. I would be very interested in hearing how your load development goes, with a description of your gun and load. 1.25" is fine for hunting but if you're like most of us; it they aren't touching each other it's back to the bench!
  7. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Back to the bench indeed... It's a great hunting load a good enough for that, but not good enough for me.... 3 out of 5 were clover leafed... with one at 4:30 and one at 3. I'll let you know how it goes.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I have a stag 6.8 with 16 inch barrel. Had good luck with 29 grains H-322, SSA brass, 110 TTSX, and either 400 or 450 primers if I remember right. I'd have to look in my book, but was getting around 2700 on my chrono I think. I have a couple MTM boxes full and will last a couple years. I really like the gun for on snowmachine and 4 wheeler. The kids and I have killed a bunch of caribou over the last couple years and only had one not want to go down. Killed one at 550 yards too. We have got 7-8 blk bear with same gun, all went down within 30 yards. Have killed a couple wolves too , but had several run off and never got them after hitting them. I have seen friends shoot wolves with 30-378, bone chips & blood and ole wolf run off to die somewheres, so they are tough to kill I believe. That 6.8 is a great gun for deer I'd think. One of these days, I'm gonna shoot a moose with the 6.8.