6 HLS wildcat..Help..

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by tdnichols, Nov 22, 2008.

1. tdnichols

tdnichols New Member

Anyone have information or links for this..someone said it is based on 22-250?? any help appreciated..:)
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

tdnichols,

I don't have the answer you are looking for, just an observation. If 6 HLS is a 6mm bullet in a 22/250 case, this would make it almost a 250/3000 Savage once again! I am not sure why anyone would want to do this, except if you have a very large supply of 6mm bullets, or to run at higher preasures than the old 250 Savage did. Funny how here at least, new is looking like the old! I wish I could help you more than by just moving your post back up to the top, where some one else may see it and chime in. Best regards Kirk
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've heard of the 6HLS and can confirm that it is indeed a 6mm wildcat based on the .250 Savage case. I've never seen one so that's all I can add. You could form brass by necking up 22-250 brass which would make it a little easier to find "starter brass" than .250 Savage.

Probably was brewed up by a guy in search of the "magic" cartridge case size for the bore...not overbore or underbore...getting the most efficient use of the powder needed to get the velocity they're in search of, minimizing the recoil for their velocity goal, etc...
    I know quite a few people consider the .243 and 6mm/.244Rem a bit overbore and I believe this is what lead to the slightly smaller 6mm cartridges like the 6mmBR, 6mm International, etc. BTW, the 6mm International is another wildcat based on the .250 Savage case necked to 6mm.

And as Kirk said...it was maybe originally brewed up by a guy who had too much .250 Savage brass laying around and an overstock of 6mm bullets. :D

Have you tried checking for the 6HLS in Cartridges of the World by Frank Barnes?